Shellseeker

@Harry Pristis 

Harry,

I need your help on an ID and discussion of Florida Calcanea.

calcaneaartiodactyls.jpg

calcaneaartiodactylsB.jpg

These are great photos Harry, but I have found one that does not quite fit.   It is shorter and wider than the examples.

IMG_0415text.thumb.jpg.bce1800fd4a715f75d5a579e99b67d10.jpgIMG_0416marked.JPG.87692e3064fb516ee7741780ea3c19d8.JPG

Palaeolama mirifica:

Post-cranial

Analyses of their limb elements reveal that they had shorter, stockier metapodials, and longer epipodials giving them a short, stocky appearance.[5] Limbs such as these are typically associated with organisms adapted to walking on uneven and rugged terrains. This is also suggestive of being well adapted to avoiding predators in forested areas.[4][5]

I think that the one I have found here may be Palaeolama mirifica and the camel calcaneum in your photos may be Hemiauchenia macrocephala.  What do you think? As always, thanks for your expertise.  Jack

Edited by Shellseeker

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

50 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

It looks to me like you've found a horse calcaneum, but compare with tapir.  Definitely not a camel bone.

Thank you Harry, 

I will review the differences and see if I can come up with a set of criteria that makes sense.  Another great photo....

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

5 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Here are a couple more images:

Thanks Harry,

I took only a little examination last night.  Out to the river this morning. I am hopeful that by going thru your images facet by facet, it will impress the differences on my memory.

Last night I saw some tapir features, but then Equus facets.  The 2 are more similar than I would have expected. 

Jack

@Harry Pristis

The last images help...

In your 1st set of pictures,  whether significant or not, I paid attention to the scars or indentations on the bone.  Missing from Equus, present on my bone and tapir.

CalcaneumMarked2.JPG.1694d76e5653ddb435cc034f1bd8f673.JPG

But then on your last sets of photos,  two features existed on both Equus and my bone and not so much on Tapir.. Especially the facet in Red seemed much more pronounced on Equus. I have an Equus Calcanrum.  Thanks for the help

CalcaneumMarked.JPG.33e3be4cbbf11ce3abd8368a844f7c61.JPG