Is it even a tooth?

DannoC

Hi!

This is my first time here so may i most embarrassingly start by asking if this is even a tooth?

Found along Red Deer River in Alberta a few km south of Tolman Bridge (in Horseshoe Canyon formation). I found it washed up in an erosion channel.
Thank you,

Danno/

59778949-51BE-4225-B11B-391F6B667C15.jpeg

5CBBC0D0-156A-4AB1-AF2A-71FA97C30C83.jpeg

E8450BEA-C73F-4F41-A67E-4B53D1D7F84F.jpeg

96DFB09F-13A6-44A5-8B50-74FB01BA74AF.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Sorry, I forgot to add a scale: it is 6cm from base to tip (as seen in pictures 3&4)

This is what is known as a chunosaur. :) A piece of fossil bone with no indication of it's identification left to be seen. I think.

Edit; Whoa ! strike that. That may be a hoof core.

Edited by Rockwood
  • I Agree 1

Wow! That's definitely a dinosaur ungual, and a very nice one at that! Either Ceratopsian or Hadrosaur. @Troodon @LordTrilobite

• I found this Informative 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

8 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

This is what is known as a chunosaur. :) A piece of fossil bone with no indication of it's identification left to be seen. I think.

Edit; Whoa ! strike that. That may be a hoof core.

Thank you, Rockwood! A hoof core!?! 
it is clearly fossilized and it must be 69-72Ma. 
There is something oddly familiar to the shape that i cannot make out…

12 minutes ago, ThePhysicist said:

Wow! That's definitely a dinosaur ungual, and a very nice one at that! Either Ceratopsian or Hadrosaur. @Troodon @LordTrilobite

Thank you for the confirmation! Indeed, it all makes sense now…

This is indeed a hadrosaur hoof core. It's missing a small piece, but otherwise it seems quite nice.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Yep agree with the others hadro pes ungual.  Probably Digit III given how symetrical it looks.  Nice find.