Any suggestons for fairly inexpensive stereo microscopes?

Misha

Hello everyone!

I am interested in purchasing a microscope to try out fossil prep under one as well as just observing smaller fossils under it.

I have begun doing some research and have come up with some good options but I wanted to ask here as well in case anyone had any suggestions.

I am looking for a stereo microscope that would be pretty simple and fairly inexpensive, if anyone has suggestions for one like this I would love to hear them,

Thank you,

Misha

Could you be more specific on what constitutes fairly inexpensive? It would help narrow recommendations if there is a price range. That said... if you don't mind old scopes anything American Optical is supposed to be good. If you think you'll end up using it often you probably want to end up with a decent entry level scope so don't go too cheap. I'm a fan of the optics on my Swift S7. No problem at all preparing little gastropods in the few mm range. I'm known for being at least a little picky with scopes from days of zooplankton counting.

We have had a few threads on good prep scopes lately. Here's one that comes to mind with good information.

• I found this Informative 1

@Thomas.Dodson

Thank you for the reply,

I should have cleared that up a bit, I don't have a hard budget but would prefer something to be within maybe the $400 range.

I saw the S7 and it is one of the scopes that I noted, although I haven't seen any in stock anywhere online.

I also have seen some AmScopes around the same price range with the same zoom which I was thinking about.

Also I don't mind old or even used scopes at all.

23 hours ago, Misha said:

@Thomas.Dodson

Thank you for the reply,

I should have cleared that up a bit, I don't have a hard budget but would prefer something to be within maybe the $400 range.

I saw the S7 and it is one of the scopes that I noted, although I haven't seen any in stock anywhere online.

I also have seen some AmScopes around the same price range with the same zoom which I was thinking about.

Also I don't mind old or even used scopes at all.

It does seem like they're running out of stock in a lot of places.

AmScopes are rather hit or miss on optic quality.

There are quite a few American Optical scope parts and boom arms on online. People apparently sell upgrade kits to get them to modern functionality although I've never rebuilt or upgraded a scope myself. If you keep a look out you can probably find a deal on good old or used scopes. Just make sure they include or you can purchase a .05x Barlow lens to improve working distance during prep. Boom arms are also necessary.

• Thank You 1

My favorite for optical quality and price are the older Olympus SZ scopes. These used scopes are almost always available on the auction sites for $100.00 to $200.00. Zoom range is 0.7 to 4.5x. Use 10x oculars and a 0.5 or 0.75 reducer lens to increase working distance. With good optics one can work under the scope for hours, rather than minutes. without eye strain.

6 hours ago, rfarrar said:

My favorite for optical quality and price are the older Olympus SZ scopes. These used scopes are almost always available on the auction sites for $100.00 to $200.00. Zoom range is 0.7 to 4.5x. Use 10x oculars and a 0.5 or 0.75 reducer lens to increase working distance. With good optics one can work under the scope for hours, rather than minutes. without eye strain.

Is that price for the entire setup, or just the head unit?

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

I use a model from amscope on a small boom stand. It's not the highest quality but it's functional and I don't have to worry about high quality glass in an inherently abrasive environment. :default_faint: It ran me somewhere in the $200 range about 6 years ago. It is a fixed focal length and I have 5x, 10x, and 20x oculars. I use the 10x almost exclusively. the working distance is 8".

The price I mentioned is a normal 'good' price for the pod alone. One can spend more than that for a good stand, premium quality oculars, or lighting, each. I have a couple I use at home and several at work which cost around $5-600.00 each including the pod, stand, oculars and fiber-optic lighting. Most parts were used, and acquired over a period of a few years.

• Thank You 1