DIY Dust Collection System

Thomas.Dodson

I've received a couple requests for more information/instructions on how my DIY dust collection system works so I decided to write this guide.

First, a crude diagram to help understand how it works. The idea is for water to act as a filter before dust even gets to the shop vac filter. It keeps the filter almost entirely clean and prevents dust from prematurely killing the motor. It's also a lot easier to clean up as you just dump the dirty water. The setup is simple and as long as the general process goes like this it is fine but I'll walk through how I built my current system. I use a two bucket system because the added height and volume allows for the operation of more powerful vacuums without sucking up the filter water. There are also similar systems available on sites like Youtube but the basic premise is the same. I remember seeing a clear one which was cool but I had the buckets I used for mine lying around already.

1992521280_DustCollector.png.e29f783b10987881d843f3241b8486f3.png

You can build your own on the cheap with the following stuff.

Required Materials
1x Bucket with sealing lid (Ideally a twist-lock lid)
1x Bucket without lid
1x PVC Elbow slip female to threaded male (1-1/4”)
1x PVC Pipe (1-1/4”) length varies but a 32" section gives you plenty.
1x Filter Pad (optional)

Required Tools
Drill with 1 1/4” hole drill bit
Strong epoxy such as Gorilla Glue

Step 1. Gather your 2 buckets. I like the rigid twist lock tops since it doesn't bend the pipe hole when you remove the lid like those other sealing lids on buckets do. I used an old chlorine tablet bucket I had around for the bucket with lid. Any ordinary 5 gallon bucket works for the top.

Step 2. 2 holes are drilled into the bottom of the bucket without the lid. This will be the intake and outtake of the dust collection system.

IMG_8175.thumb.JPG.94f33b83052df14eb76777540d3b42b2.JPG

Step 3. Multiple holes are drilled into the lid of the bucket to accommodate air flow. One of these holes needs to line up with a hole on the bucket without the lid because the intake pipe will be threaded through them both. The multiple holes are under the filter pad (see Step 4.)

256583942_FilterPad.thumb.JPG.be34e2d50074d4406544670ada3145f7.JPG

Step 4 (optional). I like to silicone a disposable filter pad I cut into a circle over the other holes. This is just an added precaution against water leaving the dust collection system. The idea is air will flow through while a random splash of water will mostly be deflected or find it more difficult to make it to the top bucket.

256583942_FilterPad.thumb.JPG.be34e2d50074d4406544670ada3145f7.JPG

Step 5. Combine the buckets. Use a strong epoxy to combine the lidless bucket with the lid of the twist-lock bucket. I used gorilla glue epoxy. Mind the alignment of the intake pipe holes so you can thread the pipe in later. Allow the epoxy to properly cure and dry.

IMG_1.thumb.JPG.e6738bb6ebea79867508abfedbe1f2f3.JPG

The end result of this step is the lid of the bottom bucket and the top bucket as one piece.

1771787736_IntakePipeLevel.thumb.JPG.e927e837dfdcbfdda39fd35edc19be5c.JPG

Step 6.

Attach the elbow to one end of the PVC pipe length. PVC glue can be used but isn't really necessary. Cut the length of PVC pipe to the height of both buckets so the intake pipe rests an inch or two off the bottom of the bottom bucket and thread it through the holes. I like to allow this gap at the bottom so larger chunks of rock don't get stuck between the pipe and the bottom. Sometimes I vacuum chunks of matrix directly into the dust collector for disposal.

I put a silicone ring around where the elbow sits on top but depending on suction power and how tightly fitting the pipe is this usually isn't necessary. It doesn't hurt though.

1915890485_IntakePipe.thumb.JPG.14c21a664b4703313540d0f723d3aa41.JPG

The system is now complete. The vacuum hose has the regular attachment pushed firmly into the outtake hole.

IMG_8166.thumb.JPG.0b7b7394bb6e3535cd24c26a04aa3523.JPG

A separate hose connects the intake pipe elbow to the blast cabinet through a slip fit vacuum attachment. 

IMG_8163.thumb.JPG.3e0a2ac4d73778c490021c84d67de29f.JPG

The top assembly comes off with the twist-lock and the dirty water is dumped at replaced when necessary. Here's a picture of dirty water after preparation.

Soup.thumb.JPG.083ec0bb6458b3940e425f56f153cc8d.JPG

Operating notes:

The working water level varies by vacuum power but you want the water level high enough to cover the bottom of the intake pipe by an inch or 2. If your water level is too high you'll find the vacuum will suck some water up until it gets to a stable water level. As long as the intake pipe is still below the water level this is fine.

Hopefully this clears some things up. If anything is still unclear or there are any questions I'll do my best to respond.

• I found this Informative 11

An incredible resource, Thomas; my thanks!

Allow me to pin this topic.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• Kane pinned this topic

Thank you so much @Thomas.Dodson! This really helps, and clearly you put a lot of effort both into making the system and into making the instructions. 

Do you notice any loss of suction power?  It seems like the vacuum motor would have to work harder to reduce the ambient pressure in the water trap enough to draw a suction on the intake hose below the water line.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

4 minutes ago, hadrosauridae said:

Do you notice any loss of suction power?  It seems like the vacuum motor would have to work harder to reduce the ambient pressure in the water trap enough to draw a suction on the intake hose below the water line.

There's a slight drop in power but it really isn't anything to worry about. It still keeps the blast box free from the cloud of dolomite even when blasting at 90-100 psi and has enough suction to suck up large rock into the trap as well. I've been known to attach a longer hose and suck up chunks of large matrix directly into the dust trap because it is easier to dump them with the water.

I've never noticed a problem with the motor working harder. I sometimes prep 4-6 hours in one sitting with no problem. The previous vacuum, a cheap shop vac, lasted several years (I think 4 or maybe 5) under such conditions and I used it a lot.

• I found this Informative 3

• 6 months later...

I’m still new around here and reading up on tools. I use a vacuum system in my everyday job. There is an attachment that fastens on the tip of a rotary device to remove dust as you work. I know of two major brands and they can be found searching for “clipper-vac” systems. Much pricier than the above set-up, but the hoses and attachments can be used as modifications to home-built ones. Btw, I sculpt live animal pets for presentation for a job.(groomer)