Snaggletooth19

Went out to Douglas Point (Potomac River, MD, Paleocene, Aquia Formation) on June 5th, first time taking the kids and we had a great time. Found a lot of sand tiger teeth as is typical. But this one has me a little stumped. The crown seems too wide at the base to be a sand tiger tooth. Could it be a small or juvenile Otodus? Or is it some kind of sand tiger after all?

DouglasTooth.jpg

DouglasTooth2.jpg

DouglasPoint3.jpg

You’re better than I. I was going to suggest Hypotodus/Paleohypotodus, bc I can’t tell the two genera apart 

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

17 hours ago, hemipristis said:

You’re better than I. I was going to suggest Hypotodus/Paleohypotodus, bc I can’t tell the two genera apart 

To be clear, the species I think it might be and the species it is are not necessarily the same thing. :D

Well thanks for the input all, that’s a new genus/genera for me to keep an eye out for. Always new things to learn in this hobby! 

The various sand tigers can be challenging to ID, but you should check out elasmo.com if you haven't already for helpful photos and other info on the species you can find out there. This link should take you to the specific page for the Aquia Formation.