Florida Shell ID Help

Wentletrapper

Hello All,

A friend of mine recently sent me some fossils he found near his home in Florida. It was suggested to us that they were from the Tamiami Formation, from the Pinecrest Beds. I’m relatively new to the paleontology of Florida so I have no idea if this is correct. I’m hoping that the community might be able to help identify some fossils. I apologize in advance for the quality of some of these photos. Because of the coloration, getting clear shots was sometimes difficult. I’d be truly appreciative if, along with the name of the fossil, you could include the citation from where you found it, if possible, as I would like to start building up a bibliography of Florida fossil resources.

All fossils were taken from spoil piles and surface collecting around building sites in Manatee County, Florida.

Vasum Horridum_4.jpg

Vasum Horridum_2.jpg

Vasum Horridum_3.jpg

SmallCrown_6.jpg

SmallCrown_7.jpg

SmallCrown_8.jpg

LongShell_1.jpg

LongShell_3.jpg

LongShell_4.jpg

GlobMurex_1.jpg

GlobMurex_4.jpg

GlobMurex_3.jpg

FloridaMurex_3.jpg

FloridaMurex_2.jpg

FloridaMurex_1.jpg

Mitre_1.jpg

Mitre_2.jpg

Cowrie_1.jpg

Cowrie_2.jpg

Cowrie_3.jpg

Cowrie_4.jpg

MoonSnail_1.jpg

MoonSnail_2.jpg

MoonSnail_5.jpg

FloridaConch_1.jpg

FloridaConch_2.jpg

FloridaConch_3.jpg

Conus_1.jpg

Conus_2.jpg

Conus_3.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Yes, Tamiami Formation.  A lot of housing construction in Manatee and Sarasota Counties are exposing the Pinecrest/Tamaimi once again.

Mike

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

32 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Yes, Tamiami Formation.  A lot of housing construction in Manatee and Sarasota Counties are exposing the Pinecrest/Tamaimi once again.

Mike

Look like gulf coast classics. Florida fighting conch, apple murex, lace murex along with extinct species such as Vasum horridum (I dont have quick access to my speciemens)  and the striped one is extinct mitra species. Guessing florida fighting conch is extinct species. 

20 hours ago, Wentletrapper said:

Hello All,

A friend of mine recently sent me some fossils he found near his home in Florida. It was suggested to us that they were from the Tamiami Formation, from the Pinecrest Beds. I’m relatively new to the paleontology of Florida so I have no idea if this is correct. I’m hoping that the community might be able to help identify some fossils. I apologize in advance for the quality of some of these photos. Because of the coloration, getting clear shots was sometimes difficult. I’d be truly appreciative if, along with the name of the fossil, you could include the citation from where you found it, if possible, as I would like to start building up a bibliography of Florida fossil resources.

All fossils were taken from spoil piles and surface collecting around building sites in Manatee County, Florida.

Vasum Horridum_4.jpg

Vasum Horridum_2.jpg

Vasum Horridum_3.jpg

SmallCrown_6.jpg

SmallCrown_7.jpg

SmallCrown_8.jpg

LongShell_1.jpg

LongShell_3.jpg

LongShell_4.jpg

GlobMurex_1.jpg

GlobMurex_4.jpg

GlobMurex_3.jpg

FloridaMurex_3.jpg

FloridaMurex_2.jpg

FloridaMurex_1.jpg

Mitre_1.jpg

Mitre_2.jpg

Cowrie_1.jpg

Cowrie_2.jpg

Cowrie_3.jpg

Cowrie_4.jpg

MoonSnail_1.jpg

MoonSnail_2.jpg

MoonSnail_5.jpg

FloridaConch_1.jpg

FloridaConch_2.jpg

FloridaConch_3.jpg

Conus_1.jpg

Conus_2.jpg

Conus_3.jpg

There's a good number of books online on Florida fossil shells. 

11 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

If you want ID suggestions, it helps a lot to number your photos or specimens.

Don

You are right. There's so many different species listed here. I see three (species or forms) of Florida fighting conch alone among the shells listed here. There are plentiful modern books on Florida fossil shells that is not ridiculous expensive. 

14 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

If you want ID suggestions, it helps a lot to number your photos or specimens.

Don

The first two pictures are Vasum horridum. The funny thing is you wont find Vasum in shallow water around florida anymore.