Wall hanging fossils

jnicholes

Hi everyone,

I would like an opinion. What do you think on my wall hanging job for my fossils?

Jared

AF5B02FC-3767-4E1D-A243-D1C256371FA7.jpeg

• Enjoyed 14

Very nice display! :) :tiphat:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

My first impression upon seeing the display, and before I read your solicitation of opinion - "some of those pieces are too small for the frame employed." Then I had time to take in the display in total. The "floating" pieces with the varying degrees of blackness around them make for a striking whole. That and the careful symmetry of the frames, offset by the irregularity of shape and size of the fossils, makes a dynamic presentation. The effect is further enhanced by the choice of black frame/background contrasting with the buff colored fossils. I like the appearance very much.

• I Agree 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Looks like an exhibition in a gallery. The black color highlights the fossils well.

Very good.

If I may say a word, the labels seem too important to me. They deserve to be more discreet in a corner of the frame

• I Agree 3

16 minutes ago, caterpillar said:

If I may say a word, the labels seem too important to me. They deserve to be more discreet in a corner of the frame

I think they are provisional.

Well-proportioned and well-sized white or light grey labels with black letters of a simple font below the frames would fit very nicely. Just my opinion.

Anyway, very aesthetic display, thanks for sharing, @jnicholes

Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 1

Nice display--hanging is a great way to display fossils.

My suggestion, make the labels more uniform in size. Rather than it been a few strips of varying length, I think it'd it look nice each with the same sized card with the info on. 

• I Agree 3

I agree, the overall look of the display, with buff fossils on a black/dark background, looks very stylish... indeed as in a gallery! However, I do also agree with @caterpillar, @FranzBernhard and @FF7_Yuffie that the way the labels are currently set up and arranged does detract from the otherwise so clean display. There are various ways to solve this, of course, including pulling the labels out of the frames (e.g., placing the below the frames instead) or using a transparent background for the labels. My recommendation would be to print labels of uniform size, using a small, clean sans serif font, and then stick them in the same corner (e.g., the lower left, as this corner is less likely to be traversed by the eye) in all frames. This uniformity here will help highlight the playful arrangement of the frames and the fossils within... Still, awesome concept and execution! :dinothumb:

• I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

14 hours ago, jnicholes said:

I would like an opinion. What do you think on my wall hanging job for my fossils?

They look awful! I need you to immediately take them down and send them to me for proper display… :TongueOut::heartylaugh:

Only joking, of course! I don’t think they look bad at all. Very nice! Sure, you could do something different with the labels, but it would be a marginal improvement to the already superb display. :) 

I am wondering what method you used to get the fossils to sit in the middle of the frame like that. I’ve seen people recess them in a foam background, or use something to hold them up like wire, or even glue.  I’m just curious as to how you did it as I like the clean free floating look you were able to accomplish.

• I Agree 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

3 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

I am wondering what method you used to get the fossils to sit in the middle of the frame like that. I’ve seen people recess them in a foam background, or use something to hold them up like wire, or even glue.  I’m just curious as to how you did it as I like the clean free floating look you were able to accomplish.

I am also curious.

These look great, and I love snolly's art teacher critique. 

I used a very small amount of epoxy to keep them in the center of the frame. That’s all. Not on top of the fossil, of course!

Actually, I moved recently. Two of my frames got damaged in the move, so I need to get new ones. The fossils are intact though. The rest were hung on the wall.

Looks very nice but I agree with caterpillar.  The labels take the eye away from the fossil.  But they are your fossils, and your opinion is what counts.

RB

Looks quite nice. The tan matrix against black is set off well.  I would also consider a different labeling method.  Aestheticly I think the labels are a distraction.  Looks like you were using a label-maker. Maybe consider just printing something on a good paper and tucking it inside the case. You can better adjust the size and color.  Possibly even do white type on black.  Just my 2 cents.

• I Agree 1

Actually, now that I think about it, I agree with you guys. I could use some work on the labeling.

Wow - really beautiful - individually and together.  Thanks so much for sharing.  I have just begun to consider how to integrate more artful displays into a collection which has, hitherto, been dominated by the precise boredom of neatly arranged, labelled items in Riker mounts.  Now - so many fun possibilities opening up.  And if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, it appears as if you will be very highly flattered indeed! :fistbump:

Nicely done.  Thank you for sharing your work.  I'll throw another 2 cents into the pot regarding the labeling. Maybe give that some more thought. I like the idea to use a uniform label size or to tuck it into frame somewhere so that the fossils are center stage in each display.

Now, I am little lady with glasses and if had these in my collection, I might consider placing them at viewing level that I could get really close up and examine each specimen intently. 

A high tech solution to drawing less attention to your labels popped into my head just now. Please don't consider it a farce (it's not meant to be), but: you could stick a QR-code in a corner of each frame. You'd not be able to immediately read the information that goes with the fossils (at least, not without a smartphone), but it's a way more minimalistic design choice, that's actually very scalable: you could host your labels online (or on a private server at home), but,  I believe, also simply put the data from the labels in the QR-code itself, so that it wouldn't need to be hosted anywhere else...

Edited by pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

On 6/11/2021 at 7:50 AM, erose said:

Looks quite nice. The tan matrix against black is set off well.  I would also consider a different labeling method.  Aestheticly I think the labels are a distraction.  Looks like you were using a label-maker. Maybe consider just printing something on a good paper and tucking it inside the case. You can better adjust the size and color.  Possibly even do white type on black.  Just my 2 cents.

I was going to suggest the same thing, white text on black background, perhaps in a smaller font.  I might also suggest you include the location and formation, if you know it.  But these are small points.  Overall you’ve done a great job!

On 6/10/2021 at 4:35 AM, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

My recommendation would be to print labels of uniform size, using a small, clean sans serif font,

Why specifically a sans serif font? These have always seemed to me rather cheap or informal compared to a classic like Time New Roman, and of course there's that potential (elsewhere, maybe not on these labels) for confusion between the capital I and small l - case in point, here on the forum and just about everywhere these days! :shakehead: 

I guess it's just a matter of taste, for the most part.

Edited by Wrangellian

4 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Why specifically a sans serif font? These have always seemed to me rather cheap or informal compared to a classic like Time New Roman, and of course there's that potential (elsewhere, maybe not on these labels) for confusion between the capital I and small l - case in point, here on the forum and just about everywhere these days! :shakehead: 

I guess it's just a matter of taste, for the most part.

Mostly it is a matter of preference. Yet, while it's undoubtedly true that a serif font is easier to read - hence their use in books and newspapers - a sans serif font looks less compound due to its lack of guiding lines (the serif lines). Is primarily for this reason, the less compound and cleaner look, that I recommend it here, as it'll attract less attention to itself than a label with a serif font...