Pleistocene mammal bone Darmstadt

Mahnmut

Hello dear fellow forum members,

I just encountered an offer that made me stop.

the Information above is all the seller has, except for the weight of the bone (around 120 g)

What do you think this could be?

Thanks,

J

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

I'm not a mammal man, as you know, but this looks like part of a skull to me. But that's just a wild guess, after vertebrae, long bones and pelvis were ruled out... No idea what part of the skull, though, nor what species.

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

I also considered vertebra, but the one side of the bone with relief doesn't look like the base of a neural arch to me. In addition, the "bottom" of the bone is too flat, to have the opposite side fit somewhere on a vertebra. Now if this were marine reptile, I'd wager this could be part of the parietal, in a mammal the other option that comes to mind is part of the skull around the (external) nares.

I believe @LabRatKing is more familiar with mammals...?

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Thanks to both of you!

That saddle shape reminded me of Rhino skulls, which would be consistent with the location. But I cannot really fit it to the pics I find.

Cheers.

Thomas Henry Huxley

Funny you should mention it, as that was also what first came to my mind. I was thinking rhino nasal bridge or something similar. Then I looked up an image of a woolly rhino skull, and dropped my idea :(

im currently out in the field with limited resources, but I have no clue what this is.

As others have said, the symmetry suggests a skull element, but I think jpc might be closer with a fragment of vertebra.

Could we get some images of the three "broken" faces?

Sorry, thats all I got, it was an auction I pondered to bid on.

Thank you anyway!

Thomas Henry Huxley