Lone Hunter

Went out to Grapevine lake to check out the water level after all the rains, I rarely bring back anything, there's only oysters and gastropods by the dam and I couldn't get that close.  This rock caught my eye, looked like it might have something in it. It wasn't until I got home and looked at it with loop that I saw the crystals, really hesitate to use that word because I've never seen any kind of crystalization in this part of woodbine. As far as I know no kind of fish fossils are here but that's my only thought, something fishy like fins. Most of them have an opalescent shine that's hard to photograph, and it does look like something is inside.  I don't know what to make of it but hoping someone does. Close ups are of the smaller circle.  Thanks for looking!

IMG_20210610_170458577_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210610_154520014.jpg

IMG_20210610_155517581.jpg

IMG_20210610_155638268.jpg

IMG_20210610_155700687.jpg

IMG_20210610_155825893.jpg

IMG_20210610_160613438.jpg

IMG_20210610_161706652_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210610_162151783.jpg

IMG_20210610_162448593_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210610_165156061_HDR.jpg

These look like geologic crystals to my eye, can't tell you what mineral though.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

I agree.  They are crystal prisms of some mineral.  You could try hardness tests and checking for whether they give of gas bubbles under a drop of vinegar to get closer to IDing the two most obvious contenders, quartz and calcite.

I agree these are minerals.  Calcite or selenite are the most likely.  As mentioned, vinegar will dissolve calcite, but selenite will be unaffected.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

No fizz. Doesn't scratch easily. What's weird is I have looked at and collected rocks from all over that lake for years and never seen any sign of quartz, minerals or anything that sparkled. Could something like that be so isolated?

1 hour ago, Lone Hunter said:

Could something like that be so isolated?

It will be fine I don't think minerals get lonely. :)

If it is selenite it could represent the remnant of a lake (body of water) that existed there in the distant past.

Are you sure they don't get lonely? :)Your perspective often makes me giggle. I was under the assumption that was always the case as far as the lake since plates from ocean floor are present.  Wouldn't selenite be everywhere?

36 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

Wouldn't selenite be everywhere?

Why would it need to be ? It may have been. It may be still just beneath the surface all around there. :shrug:

Three answers in one wow your good :) I see what your saying, I could have found the first or the last of it.  I was in the frame of mind thinking about the Archosaur site where it was everywhere.  Thank you and everyone else for the lesson!

10 min. later....I just compared it to Selenite I have and it's definitely a match so thanks again!

• I found this Informative 1