Ammolite Ammonite - in matrix or out

westtexasgringo

Hey everyone, I’m new to the forum but loved fossils all my life and recently got into building a nice collection. I have a chance to acquire a very nice Ammolite Ammonite at a decent price. I’m curious though are they more desirable in or out of the matrix? 

The one I’m considering has lovely colors including blue and purple and is out of the matrix. Was just curious before spending that kind of coin if I should consider in matrix. 
Thanks in advance!

Lee

Many individuals prefer fossils still in Matrix for display purposes but what really matters is what you prefer. You are the one who will be looking at it. Personally I prefer fossils out of matrix for the most part.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Welcome to TFF. I am an ammonite collector and prefer them most of the time left in the matrix but it does really depends on the specimen. I like to get the matrix cut  to make the ammonites display without a stand but the one thing I really don’t like is the matrix been carved away like a sculpture. Natural for me. I  think a photo or two would help the members but really you should get what you like . 
cheers Bobby 

Edited by Bobby Rico

Here is an image of the specimen I am considering! Looking at 11.5" x 9.5" and right around [price removed].

Thanks Bobby and Dipleura Whisperer!

781132266_AmmoliteAmmonite.jpeg

I have no experience with this material. But do you know if the specimen is stabilized with some kind of glue or resin etc? Or if it is photographed wet?

Note: Mentioning of prices is not welcomed on TFF. Would you like to remove that number in your second post, @westtexasgringo? Thanks!

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 2

11 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

I have no experience with this material. But do you know if the specimen is stabilized with some kind of glue or resin etc? Or if it is photographed wet?

Note: Mentioning of prices is not welcomed on TFF. Would you like to remove that number in your second post, @westtexasgringo? Thanks!

Franz Bernhard

Franz,

Some great questions I hadn't thought about asking but should have and have sent those off. I don't think photographed wet, but will inquire on that as well. Sorry, didn't know about prices, but will remove.

Thanks

• Thank You 1

That one's a beauty! I think you'll find that these are coated in some kind of consolidant, as they can be fragile and flaky without it. That should explain the shiny/wet look.

I kind of like a fossil with some matrix too, but like Bobby says, it's got to look natural and not sculpted or too aggressively trimmed. In the case of these ammolite ammo's, I think a matrix-free one is just as good if not better, particularly if there isn't a big difference in price.

Edited by Wrangellian
  • Thank You 1

I want to thank each of you for your input, you triggered some questions I had not even thought to ask and I am really making sure I want this particular piece. It is appealing because of how willing they are to work on paying it out, but for that money, I want it to be exactly what I want.

Thank you so much! As a new member, it means a lot.

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

Hi. I know a few collectors that have these Alberta specimens. This particular specimen is an absolute beauty! My brother and sister both have examples in their collections  and I‘m envious to say the least. @westtexasgringo