Ammonite, Ceratite, or Goniatite from Madagascar

JohnBurrows

This reminds me a little of some of the Madagascan Cleoniceras ammonites, but the sutures are... unusual. Somewhat rounded at the ends. It's 86x69MM approx. 

I'd appreciate any input. 

IMG_2083.JPG

IMG_2084.JPG

IMG_2081.JPG

IMG_2082.JPG

20210612_143028.jpg

Edited by JohnBurrows

8 minutes ago, TqB said:

Looks like a  Phylloceras, or phylloceratid at least.

Amazing! I couldn't find a Phylloceras that matched up quite right to the 'tubes' on the 'cats paw' (scientific terms, honest), but from that I did manage to find this; Holcophylloceras https://fossilhuntress.blogspot.com/2018/12/holcophylloceras.html. The sutures and the tube things match up rather well. 

Too bad that it's been ruined by the deep scribe marks, which have completely overemphasized the normally natural constrictions.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Too bad that it's been ruined by the deep scribe marks, which have completely overemphasized the normally natural constrictions.

I'm inclined to agree. Not something I'd usually go in for, but sometimes you see a dirt cheap auction... :rolleyes:

33 minutes ago, JohnBurrows said:

I'm inclined to agree. Not something I'd usually go in for, but sometimes you see a dirt cheap auction... :rolleyes:

I can understand that. Maybe you can still improve it somewhat if you have the right instruments.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I'm not certain I agree with "deep scribe marks".  I think it has been "polished" to remove the shell and expose the sutures, which are also a bit abraded so the fine lobes and saddles right below the shell are removed.  The "gouges" seem to me to be the natural constrictions, which were too deep to be fully ground off.  I don't think anything can be done to "fix" anything as the issue is material has been removed, not covered up.  I also think it's not too bad all things considered, although my personal preference is to keep the natural shell and not "polish" at all.  However many Madagascar ammonites are processed this way.

BTW the "tube things" are where the septa have been broken where they would have been projecting forward just under the shell surface.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

On 6/12/2021 at 10:56 PM, FossilDAWG said:

I'm not certain I agree with "deep scribe marks".  I think it has been "polished" to remove the shell and expose the sutures, which are also a bit abraded so the fine lobes and saddles right below the shell are removed.  The "gouges" seem to me to be the natural constrictions, which were too deep to be fully ground off.  I don't think anything can be done to "fix" anything as the issue is material has been removed, not covered up.  I also think it's not too bad all things considered, although my personal preference is to keep the natural shell and not "polish" at all.  However many Madagascar ammonites are processed this way.

BTW the "tube things" are where the septa have been broken where they would have been projecting forward just under the shell surface.

Don

It's definitely polished, and I agree with your assessment. The only thing I could think to do that would 'improve' it is cutting it in half, if the inside was calcified. Not going to though! :)