Something new out of my favorite spot Peace River Florida

The Dude

HI EVERYONE! Have not posted in a year. Working 2 jobs leaves no time for nothing but, I did manage to get out a couple times at least to my favorite spots and found something interesting maybe. The most unusual thing about it is the color. I found this in the Peace River Bone Valley formation. The water is tannin in this river colors everything dark. The first pic is a group photo of my finds. You will see it clearly stands out. also including some close-ups and I am sorry I am not great at all taking pictures. Its approx. 2'' at its longest point or 50mm. Its about 1'' or 25mm across. Thank you for any suggestions! Oh the last image is a meg but I found it interesting that the back of this tooth is as thick as the front. could be normal but all the ones I have found the back is relatively flat. When I lay is on a flat surface it wobbles. 

IMG_5562.JPG

IMG_5563.JPG

IMG_5564.JPG

IMG_5565.JPG

IMG_5566.JPG

IMG_5567.JPG

• Enjoyed 3

That beige tooth is an alligator tooth. It hasn't been in the water long and that is why it isn't stained black. It's been sitting concealed in a dry sandy bank somewhere and recent rains probably exposed it. Also looks like a couple of hastalis teeth and a nice meg there as well. Cool itty-bitty vert also - those can be tough to ID, but I love them.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Nice finds. Looks like you have a “Hubbell” megalodon tooth, from a juvenile. This thread has some more info:

• I Agree 1

8 hours ago, The Dude said:

Thank you for any suggestions!

Congratulations !!! You are the finder of unusual fossils. The bulge on both side of a Meg IS unusual. I have not found one,  but I have found 100s of Megs

The Alligator tooth is also unusual.  Usually we see the enamel fossilized but not the root..  In addition to the color, your tooth seems to have a part of the root fossilized AND that root is split so that you can see the detailed structure.  Makes for a good display piece..

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

5 hours ago, bthemoose said:

Nice finds. Looks like you have a “Hubbell” megalodon tooth, from a juvenile. This thread has some more info:

Hi B,

I agree.  Baby megs can have thick crowns like that.

Jess

22 hours ago, Bone Daddy said:

That beige tooth is an alligator tooth. It hasn't been in the water long and that is why it isn't stained black. It's been sitting concealed in a dry sandy bank somewhere and recent rains probably exposed it. Also looks like a couple of hastalis teeth and a nice meg there as well. Cool itty-bitty vert also - those can be tough to ID, but I love them.

I did think possible gator tooth but compared to all the others I found in this area its huge. This must of been 1 big alligator ! Thank you for your response, much appreciated

18 hours ago, bthemoose said:

I will check it out, thanks for the info!

13 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Congratulations !!! You are the finder of unusual fossils. The bulge on both side of a Meg IS unusual. I have not found one,  but I have found 100s of Megs

The Alligator tooth is also unusual.  Usually we see the enamel fossilized but not the root..  In addition to the color, your tooth seems to have a part of the root fossilized AND that root is split so that you can see the detailed structure.  Makes for a good display piece..

Hi Shellseeker! Here's a shell for you! It is almost 12'' as it is. If the tip was not broke off I think this would of been over 13'' easy . I looked around the internet, have not seen many this size, but probably just a big shell. 

IMG_5581.JPG

IMG_5582.JPG

IMG_5583.JPG

IMG_5584.JPG

IMG_5585.JPG

Well, It seems like a very large shell to me,  and I have many similar modern versions.  The expert to access this one and almost all shells out of the SE United States is @MikeR.  Let's try for his insights.   Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

4 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Well, It seems like a very large shell to me,  and I have many similar modern versions.  The expert to access this one and almost all shells out of the SE United States is @MikeR.  Let's try for his insights.   Jack

If the Sinistrofugur was found on the Peace, it doesn't belong there.  Others have reported Plio-Pleistocene shell fill in the immediate vicinity.  

Mike

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

On 6/13/2021 at 9:31 PM, MikeR said:

If the Sinistrofugur was found on the Peace, it doesn't belong there.  Others have reported Plio-Pleistocene shell fill in the immediate vicinity.  

Mike

I found it at a land side in Venice actually, should of mentioned it. 

On 6/13/2021 at 9:31 PM, MikeR said:

Mike

Found some beautiful Busycon palmbeachensis also. I know nothing about shells and I save all my finds. seeing what they sell for I guess they worth collecting. I hear these can look beautiful under black light.