Unsure - Geological searches unsuccessful

JoeDINO

Please find attached pictures of an oddly shaped and structured object. It was found while removing a deep rooted tree. This was in Royse City in Hunt County.  After having no luck identifying it, somebody suggested this forum for guidance.  Thank you for your review. 

Joe

107-2.jpg

107-1.jpg

20210612_230445.jpg

20210612_230516.jpg

Edited by JoeDINO
Typos

Welcome to the forum. This is a section of an ammonite; the pattern you see are known as suture patterns.

• I Agree 2

Welcome to the forum.  :) 

This is a piece of ammonite - the squiggly lines are the sutures. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Sutures as in two or more pieces being sewn together?

The ammonites I just looked thru mostly appeared to have a shell and made a spiral pattern. I looked at one image with similar markings but the lines appeared mostly cosmetic and transcended acute shell size changes.  These appear as individual pieces and some of the line cavitation is 1/8" deep. Does that still fit for "ammonite"?

20210613_014505.jpg

20210613_014327.jpg

20210613_014410.jpg

Yes, this is a section of an ammonite. The depth & width of the spaces would be from weathering.

• I Agree 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

51 minutes ago, JoeDINO said:

The ammonites I just looked thru mostly appeared to have a shell and made a spiral pattern.

Yes. On yours, the shell has been dissolved and what you see is an internal mold.

Coco

• I found this Informative 2

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

51 minutes ago, JoeDINO said:

Sutures as in two or more pieces being sewn together?

The ammonites I just looked thru mostly appeared to have a shell and made a spiral pattern. I looked at one image with similar markings but the lines appeared mostly cosmetic and transcended acute shell size changes.  These appear as individual pieces and some of the line cavitation is 1/8" deep. Does that still fit for "ammonite"?

20210613_014505.jpg

20210613_014327.jpg

20210613_014410.jpg

Here is an interesting article by Inoue and Kondo for Nature, explaining the formation of and variations in suture marks among ammonites. As the ammonite and it’s shell grew the suture patterns became more complex.  

This arrival does not show extensive examples of the variations, but the CT images illustrate the formation and growth of sutures. 

I hope you enjoy the article, I found it informative.  
https://www.nature.com/articles/srep33689#Fig3

• I found this Informative 1

It is also noteworthy to know that the suture lines are the end extensions of the septal walls which make up the phragmocone, the buoyancy apparatus of ammonites at the center of the spiral. The creature housed itself in the living chamber at the outer end of the spiral where there are no sutures to be seen. This part of the shell is not as often preserved as is the case with the phragmocone, since it is more unstable and susceptible to being crushed.

• I found this Informative 3

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Very interesting indeed. There are several of similar look and design in the area which was recently churned for development. Some are dirt clauds when picked up and break easily and all have a similar orange coloring.