New Way to Hang Fossil Fish

RJB

Ive been taking plate hangers and rebending them to make them then fit onto my small fossil fish and even bought some copper wire to do the same thing.  After hanging the last three fish and one of them falling down, I realized I didnt like that way of hanging them.  Went online and found another way to hang these.  I used 2 part epoxy to glue these onto the backs of the slab.  Mind you, this would not work with the softer kind of rock like the split fish material. 

RB

I layed the hanger onto some 2 part epoxy and covered with plastic and placed a flat rock on top.  Days later they were as solid as can be!

P6120037.JPG.1c57931b6fb5c20b55c21719880503c6.JPG

Here I am working my way around the electrical box but you can easily see the difference between the plate hanger type and the 2 part epoxy way of doing it. 

P6130043.JPG.8e176fc17be472522a52c209bed62bad.JPG

• I found this Informative 6
  • Enjoyed 9

19 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

This would be great for irregularly shaped pieces that can't hang straight no matter how they are put up.

My next problem is a fish slab I cut that has 5 or 6 sides?  Cant remember now but going to be tuff to hang.  Will have to do some thinking about that one.  Wieghs about 60 lbs.

RB

11 minutes ago, RJB said:

My next problem is a fish slab I cut that has 5 or 6 sides?  Cant remember now but going to be tuff to hang.  Will have to do some thinking about that one.  Wieghs about 60 lbs.

RB

Do you have an oxygen/acetylene torch? You could make a hanger from 1/4” steel round stock and braze the sections together. If you’re careful with the torch flame, you can even custom bend the steel directly on the slab. Just don’t overheat the rock or you’ll burn the oil in it. This is the voice of experience talking. :duh2:

• Thank You 1