Searcher78

Water was high today, but just like this tree, I didn’t give up.

F9991C26-3DD5-4F9E-B480-1E5E0CD85E5F.jpeg

Not as many teeth as I usually get.

53DC9232-F51A-42F2-888B-AA9753450361.jpeg

092D1A91-AE39-4D12-877F-3481BEF02FE1.jpeg

729B4107-CD96-4594-986A-F01CD19EAB79.jpeg

I get distracted.

320B8502-DBD9-44F3-BC21-F195926F8254.jpeg

My first tooth of this type.

442F1CF8-59CA-4049-B57A-02F7BEC4231E.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

That's a killer snake vert! Is the double cusped tooth a cow shark or something else like part of a Paraorthacodus clarkii?

6 minutes ago, bthemoose said:

That's a killer snake vert! Is the double cusped tooth a cow shark or something else like part of a Paraorthacodus clarkii?

Part of clarkii 

Hi,

Wouah the little snake vert ! :wub:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

1 hour ago, hokietech96 said:

Great finds as always!

Thanks, it is bug spray time. I forgot to use any and my arms are eaten up.

Nice Carcharoides tooth!

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

1 hour ago, hemipristis said:

Nice Carcharoides tooth!

Thanks, I always enjoy the variety of fossils I can find at this location.

On 6/13/2021 at 5:56 PM, Searcher78 said:

5F36C93F-9227-40F1-9A20-ED4C746F8CED.jpeg

This snake vert is incredible! Congrats!!

2 hours ago, HemiHunter said:

This snake vert is incredible! Congrats!!

Thanks, I usually ignore pieces of turtle shell and broken verts, but this one was in great shape and it was not like my shark and fish verts. The joints on each side were great.

Wow that snake vert is amazing, I’ve never seen one found there before! I’ll have to be on the look out 

Nice finds. I'm guessing the snake vert is modern based on the condition. Maybe @MarcoSr could tell us if snake verts have been found in the Aquia Formation.

21 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

I'm guessing the snake vert is modern based on the condition. Maybe @MarcoSr could tell us if snake verts have been found in the Aquia Formation.

Here is a Palaeophis vert in the Smithsonian collection from the Aquia formation: 

https://www.si.edu/es/object/nmnhpaleobiology_3448770?width=85%&height=85%&iframe=true&back_link=1&destination=spotlight/starfish

My boys and I found several last year south of Purse, but they are not nearly as complete as the one @Searcher78 posted.

Edited by HemiHunter

6 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Nice finds. I'm guessing the snake vert is modern based on the condition. Maybe @MarcoSr could tell us if snake verts have been found in the Aquia Formation.

I thought the same due to condition. Not sure.

19 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Eric

I have hundreds of fossil sea snake vertebrae from the Eocene of MD/VA.  I don't have a single snake vertebra from the Paleocene Aquia Formation of MD/VA or recall one ever being found in the Aquia Formation.  There are lots of extant snakes along the Potomac River (water snakes like the common brown water snake and terrestrial snakes like copperhead and black snakes).  The pristine condition of the vertebra in this thread, compared to the condition of the hundreds of Eocene sea snake vertebrae that I have, make me doubt that it is a fossil.  But you never know, so I would take it to the CMM (or send pictures) just to be sure.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 3

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

9 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

Eric

I have hundreds of fossil sea snake vertebrae from the Eocene of MD/VA.  I don't have a single snake vertebra from the Paleocene Aquia Formation of MD/VA or recall one ever being found in the Aquia Formation.  There are lots of extant snakes along the Potomac River (water snakes like the common brown water snake and terrestrial snakes like copperhead and black snakes).  The pristine condition of the vertebra in this thread, compared to the condition of the hundreds of Eocene sea snake vertebrae that I have, make me doubt that it is a fossil.  But you never know, so I would take it to the CMM (or send pictures) just to be sure.

Marco Sr.

I may have to let them check it out.

9 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

Eric

Marco Sr.

Update, went ahead and did the burn test. It is modern.