dinosaur man

Just today I was reminded of an idea by a friend about trying to do an SVP meeting for Amateur Palaeontologist.  Amateur Palaeontologist could join and share their research while getting suggestions by others as well as getting to know other people in the Paleo community.  I’m wondering what everyone would think of something like this and if they would join if it is to happen.

Why amateur.?.. if you are doing research, aim high.  Go for SVP.  There are always a few posters at SVP by amateurs and even high school students (usually with a science teacher as a mentor).  

And you can certainly attend (save up some pennies...oh, wait, Canada no longer uses pennies).  I believe SVP will be in Toronto in 2023.

Edited by jpc

Yep, SVP doesn't require professional status. There is an expectation that the presentations represent rigorous science but that's all.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is SVP? Why is practically everything nowadays abbreviated into oblivion at the first opportunity? :P

• I Agree 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

5 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is SVP? Why is practically everything nowadays abbreviated into oblivion at the first opportunity? :P

Society of Vertebrate Paleontology ^_^ 

It is a professional paleontology organization that hosts a yearly meeting where paleontologists can present their latest research. As said above though, non-professionals can also present research too. 

Edited by Praefectus

1 hour ago, Praefectus said:

Society of Vertebrate Paleontology ^_^ 

It is a professional paleontology organization that hosts a yearly meeting where paleontologists can present their latest research. As said above though, non-professionals can also present research too. 

Thanks very much. Sounds exactly like the PG in Germany ;)

6 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

... and what is PG?    : )

6 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

21 minutes ago, jpc said:

... and what is PG?    : )

:default_rofl::heartylaugh:

Franz Bernhard

On 6/14/2021 at 1:55 AM, Ludwigia said:

Hi Roger,

It's been around since 1981.  It publishes JVP, the Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology.  It's expensive to join but you get the Journal for free.

Jess

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, siteseer said:

Hi Roger,

It's been around since 1981.  It publishes JVP, the Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology.  It's expensive to join but you get the Journal for free.

Jess

Sounds very much like the PG, which has been around since 1912. It's main purpose is to represent the interests of palaeontology and further its significance publicly and politically.