Interesting Canine Tooth-White River fm., Wyoming

PaleoNoel

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to be able to find out the identity of this tooth I found in the White River formation last summer. It has an odd triangular cross section and doesn't seem to match anything I've seen so far. I was wondering if it might be from the ancient peccary Perchoerus as I saw some similarities online when I was exploring that option. I would be interested in reading all of your opinions. The tooth is approx. 4 cm in length and 1 cm at its widest point.

IMG_6119.thumb.JPG.844c3a95640654381ebe91eadcf8b086.JPG

Photo from the field

IMG_7165.thumb.jpg.9a9ae9fd752fd65a3099d8237178475e.jpg

IMG_7169.thumb.jpg.6de5fb1791b309ba1f468ca358260629.jpg

IMG_7166.thumb.jpg.f9fd71e71ff7a1143f2aeb1a855be51a.jpgIMG_7167.thumb.jpg.2a7fa3fda8d216dc0c1ec8ba6a5fa155.jpg

IMG_7170.thumb.jpg.8ad3bb746f285dfcb26df42aa2b93059.jpgIMG_7168.thumb.jpg.cdb6fdc1fa9f957b295729d3dca2c235.jpg

First thing that came to my mind when I read canine/white river was Oreodont, excuse me if it should be obvious that it is not one of those.

Cheers,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

1 hour ago, Mahnmut said:

First thing that came to my mind when I read canine/white river was Oreodont, excuse me if it should be obvious that it is not one of those.

It could potentially be from an oreodont, although the examples I have in my collection have more compressed canines. That doesn't rule out being from a different genus with differing canine morphology.

I was looking at my oreodont teeth and I’d agree with it being an upper canine from an oreodont........

11 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

I think it is an oreodont canine.

6 hours ago, Randyw said:

I was looking at my oreodont teeth and I’d agree with it being an upper canine from an oreodont........

Thanks! Any idea idea what genus it could be or do you think it would be more accurate to stay on the general description?

Sorry I cannot help with a species ID, you should be able to narrow it down by size? Its not one of the small species , and not Hippo-like either, that leaves the upper medium range.

There are wiki entries one quite a few species.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merycoidodontoidea

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

I suspect because of size it’s a culbertsoni but I wouldn’t be confident enough to put a permanent label on it..