Warped Dinosaur Tooth

dingo2

I found this tooth yesterday and it's not really like anything I've seen in the past. It appears to have been altered at some point after it was shed. In the first picture you can see that the left side is cracked, yet the right side is warped and completely fossilized.  Can anybody tell me what causes this? 

@Troodon

IMG_20210614_191230.jpg

IMG_20210614_191628.jpg

IMG_20210614_191418.jpg

Its called "plastic deformation".  It can be seen in lots of fossil elements.

• I found this Informative 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Yep plastic deformation is the culprit.  Caused by the many different process that the tooth sees during mineralization.  The loss of porosity with the stresses seen by the overburden can cause the tooth to warp, deform or break.   I've have a tooth from the Morrison Fm that has gone through plastic deformation and is deformed.   All teeth see it and are affected to different degrees.

• I found this Informative 2

4 hours ago, Troodon said:

I've have a tooth from the Morrison Fm that has gone through plastic deformation and is deformed.   All teeth see it and are affected to different degrees.

I like to see one of yours if it is not hard to find. I have seen trilobites that look stretched, I wonder if it is the same proses. Cheers Bobby