Is it a fossil? (first post)

Jesse510

Hello fossil enthusiasts!

Is this a sea grass fossil?

I recently found this stone while digging for earth pigments, on a hillside that was a former ochre pigment quarry.

The hillside itself contains a lot of black and green serpentinite and lizardite, and lots of dense blue-gray clay. There is also ample hematite and ochre further up the hill. Oaks and grass thrive here, plants grow thick and fast on this hill. 

I don't know how to read USGS maps, but according to a USGS map I found (if I read it right), the site is in a pocket of "Alluvial fan and fluvial deposits (pleistocene)" (labeled "Qpaf" on the map)

The rock was about three to six inches beneath a 45 degree angled surface, surrounded by black serpentinite and blue clay.

If it isn't a fossil, what is it?

Any insights are very welcome. Please let me know if the photos do not convey enough information, I will gladly supply more. 

You all ROCK!

Thanks!

Jesse

IMG-5836.jpg

IMG-5837.jpg

IMG-5838.jpg

I don't think this is a fossil.  It may be cone in cone structure. A type of concretion.

Serpentine is a hydrothermally altered rock, however, so it may be something that just looks similar.

• I found this Informative 1

Crystal dendrites! That's got to be it, looks exactly like that. Thank you VERY much. 

Fine dendrites! Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your excellent photographs and locality information. :)

• I Agree 1

Tarquin

Likely the mineral pyrolusite, manganese dioxide.  Very common on fracture faces of serpentine bodies

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Nice pseudofossil!  :) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Nice dendrites!

If they are black, they are manganese dendrites, if they are brown, they are iron oxide dendrites. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library