Can anyone help me identify these potential fossils that I found at Sunset Beach in Cape May, NJ?

Suchascenicworld

Hello everyone,

I apologise in advance for the lower quality photos, my phone is quite old and the camera is going. Anyways, I was down in Cape May this past weekend and I decided to beach comb on sunset beach. i found several interesting items, and I was wondering if I can get some input regarding what they are. 

The first two images seem to be a similar type of fossil (if it is one). I am wondering if it could potentially be Paleozoic (if anything?). However, I am not sure exactly what it is, nor the material that it is made of. 

The third image I think could be coral, but I am not sure what type or how old given that it is out of context but any info would be appreciated. 

The last two images involve an interesting one. Now, for context, I have a background in Paleoecology and Taphonomy, and have had to id thousands of bones that date back as far as the Pliocene. While this could undoubtedly be a rock, (it always can!). However, for me...it really, really, looked like water rolled bone. In the last image, you can see that it is quite porous (in a way that looks more like cancelous bone) and the rock in itself is quite light. If it is bone, it would be quite old...but still, i am undoubtedly open minded that I could be wrong and it could just be a rock! What do you think?

Anyways, thank you so much for taking a look! 

IMG-4931.JPG

IMG-4945.JPG

IMG-4942.JPG

IMG-4932.JPG

bone2.jpg

Hi,

as you will know, it is all in the detail, and at least fro my eyes it will need better fotos to ID anything here.

Best Regards,

J

• I Agree 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

It seems to just be small shell fragments and other odds and ends that have been fossilized in stone, very smooth from the water

The first one looks like it has a bunch of fossil fragments within a mudstone perhaps. Could even be a crinoid stem piece in the lower left, but hard to be too sure from the one picture. Second one I don’t really see anything recognizable as a fossil in there. Third one does indeed look like it could be a coral, but anything more specific than that is going to require better pictures and/or some source info. Last one is hard to tell, I couldn’t rule out sone bone fragment but I also couldn’t rule out encrusting bryozoan. 

1 - Crinoid pieces mixed with shell fragments. The darker circle on the left looks like a brachiopod, sectioned to expose the steinkern. The texture being concretion.

2 - Something similar is seen at 11 o-clock. The second line down counterclockwise at 9:30 looks like a partial trilobite thorax in cross section.

3 - Probable colonial rugose coral.

4 - Oncolites is my guess. Oolites perhaps.

5 - I'm calling oolitic limestone with a pholad boring (+) in it.

This looks like a Tabulate coral, maybe something like Favosites sp. 

IMG-4942.JPG.69acfc87f6921ce71a1cbadcd0aa7753.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

10 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

This looks like a Tabulate coral, maybe something like Favosites sp. 

It could be. It's hard to tell if those are tabulae or dissepiment in the confusion. And the scale of them sort of depends on what is designated as what.

On 6/16/2021 at 9:18 AM, Rockwood said:

1 - Crinoid pieces mixed with shell fragments. The darker circle on the left looks like a brachiopod, sectioned to expose the steinkern. The texture being concretion.

2 - Something similar is seen at 11 o-clock. The second line down counterclockwise at 9:30 looks like a partial trilobite thorax in cross section.

3 - Probable colonial rugose coral.

4 - Oncolites is my guess. Oolites perhaps.

5 - I'm calling oolitic limestone with a pholad boring (+) in it.

thank you so much @Rockwood!!!