Is this a shark tooth fossil?

BeachCombing10

Hello! I was combing the beach in Ocean City, NJ for sea glass and stumbled across what I believe to be a shark tooth. Based on what I’ve seen online, I’m curious if it is a Megaladon fossil. Any help in identifying this tooth would be appreciated!

Measures just about 3.5 cm

1ED920E9-AD3E-45C4-AB84-2039B49EE531.jpeg

FA436A94-595C-4500-A8D4-1998C0C4A434.jpeg

A81988DF-464F-4C31-BC6E-614D18546821.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

That’s a super rare find! I found one in Sea Isle City, NJ last year but it was a file tooth so missing the root. Definitely a Great White tooth

• I found this Informative 1

@FamilyroadtripIMHO your file tooth w/o the root is far rarer than a much more "common" GW tooth. The file tooth had not finished being formed as the root develops last. I'm assuming you had just the hollowed out enamel of the tooth. However the rarity of the finds at these locations is another matter. Good hunting from both of you.

• Thank You 2

They’re both very rare haha. I do agree that it is rarer than a non-file Great White, but I wish it wasn’t a file tooth sometimes, it’s much more fragile & brittle than normal teeth so we have too take extra precautions:/ 

Yes, it is. :)

• Thank You 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

21 hours ago, Familyroadtrip said:

That’s a super rare find! I found one in Sea Isle City, NJ last year but it was a file tooth so missing the root. Definitely a Great White tooth

Can you please post a photo?

12 minutes ago, Carl said:

I’ll try too in a little bit:)

• Thank You 1

Thanks everyone for your help in identifying it. Never expected to find a tooth like this in NJ! ☺️

2 hours ago, Carl said:

This is the case of all my NJ beach finds, besides for a Cetacean vert that doesn’t fit in the case. The one in the middle on the left.

D13EF224-101E-4495-AD23-C43A01833870.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3
  • Thank You 1