The Amateur Paleontologist

Just wanted to share this bit of good news with you guys - I was accepted, some time ago, to present at a paleo conference :D 

The conference, Progressive Palaeontology 2021, is organised by the Palaeontological Association and is hosted (online) by the University College London (my uni!).

It runs from tomorrow until the 19th. Although registration is now closed, some talks will be uploaded to Youtube (it's possible for presenters to ask to have their talks stay up on Youtube, publicly, even after the event has finished).

Now although the conference is mostly for master's and PhD students, I thought I'd still go ahead with trying my hand at getting into the conference. I'm so delighted I got accepted! :)

image.png.dd6731ba26e56448ef933bd4d9426e53.png

For those who are curious, this is the title and abstract of my talk:

Historical material of cf. Thoracosaurus from the Maastrichtian of Denmark provides new insight into the K-Pg distribution of Crocodylia

Crocodylia is one of the distinctive groups that survived the K–Pg mass extinction event. New material from Late Cretaceous–early Palaeogene deposits is therefore important to understanding shifts in crocodylian distribution and ecology. This paper describes and assesses a fragmentary mandible of a marine crocodylian from the lower Maastrichtian (Late Cretaceous) of Møns Klint (Denmark). Based on features including narrow rami and curved, slender, and conical teeth, the specimen is referred to cf. Thoracosaurus (Gavialoidea). Although collected in 1968, the material has not yet been described. However, given its importance to crocodylian palaeontology, the specimen warrants further attention. This research aims to systematically present the palaeobiogeographical significance of the fossil material, assessed using digital palaeolatitudinal reconstruction. The Møns Klint specimen represents the oldest gavialoid record in Europe, with all other material deriving from upper Maastrichtian and Danian deposits. This indicates that Gavialoidea were present in the European Chalk Sea throughout the Maastrichtian, rather than being a latest Maastrichtian arrival. Furthermore, the Møns Klint ‘Thoracosaurus’ represents one of the only lower Maastrichtian gavialoids, the other two being from Mississippi and New Jersey (United States of America). The specimen thus extends the palaeogeographical range of lower Maastrichtian gavialoids across the proto-Atlantic and by ~7º in palaeolatitude. This reveals a transatlantic distribution of Gavialoidea dating back to the earliest Maastrichtian, providing further evidence for distributional communication between vertebrate faunas of the Western Interior Seaway and of the Chalk Sea. These factors therefore make the Møns Klint Thoracosaurus specimen particularly valuable to understanding distributional patterns of K–Pg crocodylians.

I'm especially pleased that after several years, some of my research on the marine fauna from the late Cretaceous chalk of Møns Klint is finally getting "out there", into the academic/public world. :) A small step of progress for my Møns Klint Fossil Research Program!

It'll also of course be great to see many talks on fascinating aspects of paleo research, exchange with paleontologists, and participate in workshops!!

I'll make sure to post on TFF the recording of my talk once it's made publicly available :) Really can't wait for this, I'm so excited!!

-Christian

• I found this Informative 12
  • Enjoyed 5

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Really great news, thanks for sharing!

So you may already replace that "Amateur" in your TFF name ;)?
Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

I'll make sure to post on TFF the recording of my talk once it's made publicly available

:popcorn:

Sounds like you're one happy guy. I would be too! Looks like you're off to your first serious start on your way to your diploma. Good luck!

• Thank You 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Congratulations Christian!    :tiphat:

Well done, sir!  :) 

We're proud of you. 

• Thank You 1

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

It's been a long road...congratulations, Christian.

• Thank You 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanks so much for your kind words and encouragement :D Really means a lot, guys!

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Congrats! 
You really can be proud of yourself as you have really earned it with your amazing work :) 

• Thank You 1

Interested in all things paleontology, geology, zoology, evolution, natural history and science!
Professional exotic pet keeper, huge fantasy geek, explorer of the microfossil realm, member of the BVP (Belgian Association for Paleontology), Volunteer prepper at Oertijdmuseum Boxtel.  

View my collection topic here:

The Growing Collection of Ziggycardon
My animal collection at the "Members pet" topic

Ziggycardon's exploration of the microfossil realm

Trips to Eben Emael (Maastrichtian of Belgium)

My latest fossil hunt

Next project will be a dedicated prepping space.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

5d68d9f3c550a_153657011360380104(21).jpg.bda3d3b7ae7b8321dd0620a0c61cc459.jpg5d68da1b497f5_153657011360380104(20).jpg.8610ffc65ccaa5d057e7b52b65989cd0.jpg5d68da353dd03_153657011360380104(24).jpg.ae73afaefa6ab34e7af5f6131aed96ff.jpgsolnhofen.jpg.76dd03ba7eb39946850662021b7d8dd4.jpg166802558255587143.jpg.c38d91e9e45f17addf29c40166b797a2.jpg5d68da49ad887_153657011360380104(25).jpg.dfff987039b3c99f41e44da51f71ae91.jpg

That's so exciting! I'm happy your work is being recognized.

Well-done-32.gif.eab2871d4a37eae2ad4ecb0eec976d3b.gif

• Thank You 1

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Congrats! Another step in your journey. :) 

Hopefully you'll have an opportunity to network as well, even if that is a bit more challenging to do online. :dinothumb:

• Thank You 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Oh wow! Congratulations! That's some exciting research, and this recognition seems more than justified! :tiphat:

• Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Wow! Congrats! :yay-smiley-1:

• Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)