Reworked Fossils

Carl

I'm hoping the hive mind here can help me. I am looking for sites that contain fossils from at least 3 distinct time periods, all in one exposure, i.e., at least two of them are reworked into the 3rd one. In other words, I am looking for discrete areas of reworking in which fossils are found from at least 3 time periods. Thanks!

Edited by Carl

4 minutes ago, Carl said:

I'm hoping the hive mind here can help me. I am looking for sites that contain fossils from at least 3 distinct time periods, all in one exposure, i.e., at least two of them are reworked into the 3rd one. In other words, I am looking for discrete areas of reworking in which fossils are found from at least 3 time periods. Thanks!

Look to the unconsolidated gravel-rich Pleistocene sediments on top of the Cretaceous rocks along the North Sulphur River in NE Texas. Cretaceous and Pleistocene fossils are common. Rare Paleozoic corals and petrified wood of an unknown age (Neogene, Paleogene?) may be found in that layer since they are found in the river bed. I have seen no silicic gravel in the local Cretaceous rocks.

• Thank You 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I don't know what you mean by "discrete areas," Carl; but, the Peace River leaps to mind.  Ranchlabrean, Irvingtonian, Blancan, and Hemphillian can be found mixed together in the Peace River gravels.

9085454_NALMAsoldnew.jpg.a090696942a68064476ace887a2aa61b.jpg

• Thank You 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

The New Hanover Member of the Eocene Castle Hayne Formation can have phosphatic fossils from multiple formations including the Black Creek Group, Peedee Formation and in places some Paleocene fossils.

new hanover1.jpg

new hanover2.jpg

Edited by Al Dente
  • Thank You 1

Carl, I have a single Eocene site in the Wind River Fm west of Casper that also has reworked Cretaceous fossils of three different kinds:  abundant shark teeth (from either the Mesa Verde or Frontier), rare baculites (from the Cody Shale) and rare dinosaur material (from the Mesa Verde).

• Thank You 1

You are looking for non-conformities in the middle of transgressive regressive facies.....  Just showing off throwing around some big words....:rolleyes:

• Enjoyed 1

On 6/20/2021 at 11:58 AM, erose said:

You are looking for non-conformities in the middle of transgressive regressive facies.....  Just showing off throwing around some big words....:rolleyes:

Add "Internal combustion-powered, gravity-assisted, hydraulic upheaval".... also known as a "dump truck".   I have construction embankments in my area that fit the OP's description.