Help with this fossil collection - if they're real

Georgemckenzie

Hiya everyone.

I’m thinking of buying this fossil collection just wanted to know if any of them are real of if they are reproductions.

Thanks 

88B5C5C5-BF30-46A5-9AEB-A7F91A583CF3.png 06617331-8944-4844-BFC2-33C7EC9D68EA.png

32915EBF-5CD2-4444-B534-148588CF681E.png 16E8035A-D155-4814-94FC-25929AE58E20.png

4F3DAF50-9169-4155-A70C-F2769CB26E37.png C9AAB364-599E-4357-8F09-1A0C64A4FDC9.png

5BBAF785-6C3C-465A-885A-6EF5DB8E2B25.png D46BBAB5-AC3D-4C00-B354-B6689387760A.png

These all look like casts, to me.  :unsure: 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 minute ago, Fossildude19 said:

These all look like casts, to me.  :unsure: 

Thanks very much I started to suspect it a little after a bit more looking 

even for a newbie like me, I also see them very suspicious.

a shame that many people want to take advantage of this hobby. :shakehead:

19 minutes ago, Georgemckenzie said:

Thanks very much I started to suspect it a little after a bit more looking 

If they sell them to you, the ammonites and the fish are not bad to decorate.:Smiling:

A hug Georgemckenzie

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Help with this fossil collection - if they're real

Agreed. Look like casts--not bad reproductions but not real fossils.

The clincher is the NC "meg" tooth which is entirely the wrong color for a meg from this location (virtually all are shades of black/gray due to phosphatic preservation). On rare occasions megs can be found where they have not been stained these darker grayish shades but they are never as purely white as a fresh tooth straight from a shark's jaws. The person who painted this one knew little about what actual fossil teeth look like and thus painted it what they though a shark tooth should look like. Here's about the lightest colored one I can find online from NC:

Tooth.jpg

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/blogs/national-museum-of-natural-history/2019/07/29/megalodon-may-be-extinct-theres-life-size-one-smithsonian/

Megs from Indonesia or South America (places like the high desert in Argentina) often have megalodon teeth still in matrix but I cannot think of any meg tooth I've seen from the Carolinas that has had any significant matrix attached. These teeth are just do not seem to be preserved in a matrix that adheres to the tooth. The matrix in the cast provides a good base for the label but is another red flag against its authenticity.

Cheers.

-Ken

16 hours ago, Paleorunner said:

a shame that many people want to take advantage of this hobby.

Maybe the seller don´t know that these are reproductions? At least one seems to be real - the cut ammo with some matrix. I clearly does not belong to the rest.

The Ammos seem to represent that one from Schlaifhausen, @Ludwigia? We had a discussion about fakes from that site some time ago. Good, to see a true cast - its too perfect and even the air bubbles are visible.

Franz Bernhard

4 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Maybe the seller don´t know that these are reproductions? At least one seems to be real - the cut ammo with some matrix. I clearly does not belong to the rest.

The Ammos seem to represent that one from Schlaifhausen, @Ludwigia? We had a discussion about fakes from that site some time ago. Good, to see a true cast - its too perfect and even the air bubbles are visible.

Franz Bernhard

They are definitely not from Schlaifhausen, where Dactylioceras dominates. They look more like something from the Sinemurian, but they are the wrong color, which is why I'm also suspicious of them.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

23 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

They are definitely not from Schlaifhausen, where Dactylioceras dominates. They look more like something from the Sinemurian, but they are the wrong color, which is why I'm also suspicious of them.

The ammonite casts look like Echioceras to me.   :zzzzscratchchin:

Edited by Bobby Rico