JoseR_Carrillo

Hi, Mi names is José. I from Piura, a city in the northwestern cost of peru. 

Together with my friend we find this shark teeth fossil in marine terreins of upper miocene - pliocene in Sechura basin, very similar to Pisco Basin (that may be better known to you).
We need help to identify this teeth and others too ( https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1F6O3ql4zvtRnShPd0ZoOVWJ6tPbOimgr?usp=sharing ) 

Y1_50  3 --> Isistius triangulus ¿?  

Y2_328 --> Carcharocles Megalodon ¿?

Y1_305 --> Carcharhinus sp ¿?

Thanks and sorry for my bad inglish grammar.Y2_001.thumb.jpeg.87c4bae63d8c27a67f63125659cd9900.jpegY1_503.thumb.jpeg.297384762d61a080f5adae6ae9301249.jpegY1_501.thumb.jpeg.bbd9ba59544cffed0b3e3476afe82e90.jpegY1_305.thumb.jpeg.ff7548bb071efaf4c1fe08f05fbf843e.jpegY1_303.thumb.jpeg.b838eaa342398bd35bbda64fa3fc6072.jpeg

Y2_101.jpeg

Y2_205.jpeg

Y2_301.jpeg

Y2_302.jpeg

Y2_305.jpeg

Y2_310.jpeg

Y2_328.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Welcome to the forum.  Your english  is fine. Your teeth are pretty but i am not the right person to help.

• Thank You 1

Y1501 looks like Echnodus but I'm not positive. Nice assortment of teeth, hope a tooth expert will help you out. :)

Hola, José. !Bienvenidos! :meg:Encontró unos fósiles bellos. Para la proxima vez, por favor, usa 1, 2, 3, ... 

Y2_001: Carcharodon hastalis
Y1_503: Isistius sp. @digit

Y1_501: Indeterminado, ?posiblemente Carcharias sp.? No es Enchodus

Y1_305: Carcharhinus sp., posiblemente C. leucas

Y1_303: Carcharhinus sp.

Y2_101: Carcharhinus sp.

Y2_205: Carcharhinus sp.

Y2_301: Carcharodon hastalis - diente posterior

Y2_302: Carcharhinus sp.

Y2_305: Carcharhinus sp.

Y2_310: pienso Carcharias sp.

Y2_328: Carcharocles megalodon

Identificación con dientes de Carcharhinus sp. es muy difícil.

@Al Dente@siteseer@MarcoSr

• Thank You 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

@ThePhysicist Vaya! Muchas gracias por tu apoyo ! Una ultima consulta. Estos pensamos pertenecen al genero Rhizoprionodon sp. Quisiera saber que opinas sobre ello. Para estos. [Wow! Thank you very much for your support! One last question. These we think belong to the genus Rhizoprionodon sp. I would like to know what you think about it. For these:]

Y2_304.thumb.jpeg.0d709fb70b503e6a965abdfa00c85da4.jpegY2_306.thumb.jpeg.df9207b66013e9f11c029cf3de2ab4a3.jpegY2_303.thumb.jpeg.eed0abc70a990bb4215a22144ca5cafc.jpeg 

6 hours ago, ThePhysicist said:

Y2_001: Carcharodon hastalis
Y1_503: Isistius sp. @digit

Y1_501: Indeterminado, ?posiblemente Carcharias sp.? No es Enchodus

Y1_303: Carcharhinus sp.

Y2_101: Carcharhinus sp.

Y2_205: Carcharhinus sp.

Y2_301: Carcharodon hastalis - diente posterior

Y2_302: Carcharhinus sp.

Y2_305: Carcharhinus sp.

Y2_310: pienso Carcharias sp.

Y2_328: Carcharocles megalodon

Y2_001: Depending on which taxonomists you follow this tooth certainly looks like the Broad-tooth Mako (or Broad-tooth White Shark). There is much debate on the lineage that includes this tooth. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmopolitodus

Y1_504: I would say (given a bit of knowledge with fossil Isistius) that this indeed looks to be I. triangulus. The species that preceded this species (I. trituratus) dates back to the Eocene (likely older than your deposits). Both of these extinct species had blades that were approximately shaped like equilateral triangles. Much of the distinction between these two extinct species has to do with the placement of the medial-lingual foramen ("the buttonhole") above the elliptical nutrient groove ("the keyhole") in the root. Because these teeth are very delicate the roots are often eroded or broken off. The age of the formation that these teeth came from should be sufficient to exclude I. trituratus in favor of I. triangulus. I'm not certain how far back in time the most common extant species of this unusual shark genus (I. brasiliensis) reaches but the modern teeth are distinguishable from I. triangulus as they are more narrow with the crown not making an equilateral triangle.

Fossil Isistius triangulus (various tooth positions) showing nearly equilateral triangular shaped crown (except for the bent posterior teeth). Scale = 0.5 mm

Isistius Size Gallery Cropped.jpg

Modern associated dentition of Isistius brasiliensis (note the more narrow teeth with smaller angle at the tip):

Isistius_brasiliensis_2.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isistius

Cheers.

-Ken

6 hours ago, JoseR_Carrillo said:

These we think belong to the genus Rhizoprionodon sp. I would like to know what you think about it.

They do look similar to Rhizoprionodon to me but I do not know what other genera may be in your formation. @Al Dente and @MarcoSr may have a more informed opinion.

http://www.elasmo.com/frameMe.html?file=genera/cenozoic/sharks/rhizoprionodon.html&menu=bin/menu_genera-alt.html

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

I am no expert to fossilized teeth but a lot of your fossils look like shark teeth.

But again I don't really know what I'm talking about.

19 hours ago, digit said:

Y2_001: Depending on which taxonomists you follow this tooth certainly looks like the Broad-tooth Mako (or Broad-tooth White Shark). There is much debate on the lineage that includes this tooth. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmopolitodus

Agree 100 %.  Its certainly in the Cosmpolitodus /Great White lineage. 

I' not sold that the "broad toothed"mako is a variant of C. hastalis, for several reasons. Teeth are speciate for far less than the significant inferences in the C. hastalis morphology.  It is still C. xiphodon to me. 

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Concur with The Physicist on:

Suggest:

Y2_101: Carcharhinus sp., posiblemente C. galapagensis 

Y2_205: Carcharhinus sp., posiblemente C. brachyurus

• Thank You 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

22 hours ago, digit said:

They do look similar to Rhizoprionodon to me but I do not know what other genera may be in your formation. @Al Dente and @MarcoSr may have a more informed opinion.

http://www.elasmo.com/frameMe.html?file=genera/cenozoic/sharks/rhizoprionodon.html&menu=bin/menu_genera-alt.html

Cheers.

-Ken

Looking at the pictures, there are at least 5 different genera that those specimens could be including Rhizoprionodon.  The 3 specimens may not even all be the same genera.  It is hard to tell from the pictures if the crown overhangs the root on the labial side on any of the specimens, especially the one specimen with the damage to the crown along the root.  If there is crown overhang, then you probably have Galeorhinus or Palaeogaleus.  It is really helpful in identifying shark teeth to know what genera/species have been described in the fauna that the shark teeth are from.

Marco Sr.

• I Agree 2

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png