Fossils from South India

Sajeev

This fossil obtained from an aptian/ early cretaceous formation from South India....It look like flower trace fossil...it shows traces of seed pod also....is there any possibility to find its number of petals and species..?

3 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20210610_172045 - Copy.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I would be surprised if it is a flower.  They rarely fossilize, but there is an interesting pattern in there.  Can you take photo with the light coming at a low angle from the upper left side?  That makes the three dimensional-ness stand out better.

Trace has a slightly different use as a term in paleontology. The faint remains of seeds of some sort seems the most possible. 

Any other examples that you can use for reference would be helpful, if fossils are known in the area. 

• I Agree 1

I don't know what is this fossil but I have very similar ones found in israel, I can share photos if it helps.

• 7 months later...
5 hours ago, Kane said:

@riffin _- Are you in possession of the same fossil as the OP

Tags in the topic suggest a familial relationship.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

On 6/20/2021 at 9:56 AM, Daniel Fischer said:

I don't know what is this fossil but I have very similar ones found in israel, I can share photos if it helps.

Please post them here. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay of a few months.

Here is a picture of some similar fossils, I am pretty sure I had more and also ones that are much more similar to your fossils but I can't find them.

I also think that your fossils are brachiopods and I know that mine are probably brachiopods.

589477579_wierdfossilphoto.jpg