Is this Coprolite?

Avrahamagirl

I'm thinking more along the lines of chert, sorry.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Could you give us a general idea of where it was found ? I wonder if it could be a weathered bit of the rock known as clam coal.

• I found this Informative 1

This is something my mother found a long time ago, but my estimation is region only. Nova Scotia, possibly Cape Breton or the beaches around Nova Scotia.

Thanks for replies, the chert response though, I'm not entirely convinced of. I looked up the images on it, and I'm not seeing the half moon patterns or circular patterns in the chert. Clam coal I looked at as well, I was a little more convinced on that, but something about the shape and identifiable markings made me think it's not that either.

My reasoning on it possibly being coprolite, is the little spiral outer white filmy circles with the red inner core (petrified bone fragments), often found in coprolite (poo fossils from dinosaurs). The colors, weird waves and shape, as well as the porous looking white shape on one side, all things I've seen in pictures of carnivorous dino poo. Here are some pics from online. It's the round half moon shapes and such that for me makes me think coprolite. The chart is patterns found in coprolite.

post-4888-0-08945000-1399693558.jpg

f-cop-cb.05.jpg

6a00d8341c5e1453ef022ad3931472200d-600wi.jpg

spp21297-fig-0003-m.jpg

Edited by Avrahamagirl

On 6/20/2021 at 7:47 AM, Avrahamagirl said:

spp21297-fig-0003-m.jpg

Sorry, I don't think this is coprolite. The chart you posted is for Favreinidae (crustacean coprolites). What you are looking at here is a representation of cross sections of tiny rod-shaped pellet that measure about a millimeter in diameter. The internal shapes are tiny canals rather than inclusions. 

On 6/20/2021 at 7:47 AM, Avrahamagirl said:

6a00d8341c5e1453ef022ad3931472200d-600wi.jpg

This example is indeed a carnivore coprolite. The dark inclusions are fish vertebrae. 

The other two examples you provided are not coprolites. There are a lot of people selling siliceous rocks like those as coprolites, but there is no scientific evidence supporting their claims. In order to identify coprolites, the most important thing to know is the location it was found. Were there other fossil in the area, and what type? Without knowing a location we have to look at composition. Are their identifiable inclusions? Since the majority of feces that survive the fossilization process are from carnivores, they are generally comprised of calcium phosphate (the same mineral predominant in bone). I believe what your mother found was a piece of jasper  (something like leopard jasper?).  I can say with 99.9% certainty, it is not a coprolite. Sorry...:(

• I found this Informative 1