GPayton

Found this almost complete vertebra on the Brazos River near Houston several months ago, missing only one of the larger processes and one of the smaller ones. I initially assumed it was just another horse or bison vertebra which are pretty common around here, but after looking at it again I realized that, although worn, one side is convex and the other is concave like in reptile vertebrae. After looking at some pictures online it bears some resemblance to alligator vertebrae. If that's what it is I would be overjoyed since the only other alligator material Ive found before is a single osteoderm about a year ago. As always, if someone could confirm my tentative ID I'd be very grateful. 

image.thumb.png.bf2ccefd65779ae7f90d549286cab034.png

image.thumb.png.becf688c09c20dfcdea1ed5760741824.png

image.thumb.png.42c1b32acbeb2121bfa9853a5a1e62f6.png

image.thumb.png.20d5b23346bcfca318add5c5ba3b22f1.png

And an in-situ just for fun: 

image.thumb.png.7b6baa18e84ff08daaa4294621fd7201.png 

• I found this Informative 1

18 hours ago, GPayton said:

Found this almost complete vertebra on the Brazos River near Houston several months ago, missing only one of the larger processes and one of the smaller ones. I initially assumed it was just another horse or bison vertebra which are pretty common around here, but after looking at it again I realized that, although worn, one side is convex and the other is concave like in reptile vertebrae. After looking at some pictures online it bears some resemblance to alligator vertebrae. If that's what it is I would be overjoyed since the only other alligator material Ive found before is a single osteoderm about a year ago. As always, if someone could confirm my tentative ID I'd be very grateful. 

image.thumb.png.bf2ccefd65779ae7f90d549286cab034.png

image.thumb.png.becf688c09c20dfcdea1ed5760741824.png

image.thumb.png.42c1b32acbeb2121bfa9853a5a1e62f6.png

image.thumb.png.20d5b23346bcfca318add5c5ba3b22f1.png

And an in-situ just for fun: 

image.thumb.png.7b6baa18e84ff08daaa4294621fd7201.png 

I didn’t know that one side concave and the other convex = reptile. Now I must go through a pile of bones and check. Thanks!

1 hour ago, garyc said:

I didn’t know that one side concave and the other convex = reptile.

some mammals will have one side concave and the other convex. Cow and bison come to mind.

Edited by Al Dente
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, garyc said:

I didn’t know that one side concave and the other convex = reptile. Now I must go through a pile of bones and check. Thanks!

Like Al Dente mentioned vertebrate position also matters for concave/convex ends. In mammals like bovids the cervical vertebrae are like this, for example. Concavity and convexity are useful diagnostic tools but shouldn’t be the only determining factor.

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, caterpillar said:

I think there is a mistake between anterior and posterior view

Thank you.  I think you're correct, Dominique.  I've change the labels on the original image.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest