Maybe a seed? Bean? Bead? Or just tricky ironstone

Lone Hunter

Picked out of gravel bank with lovely mix of Qal, Eagle Ford, and who knows what.  I find arrowheads alongside crinoid stems. Anyway the symmetry of this caught my eye, it looks like a barrel bead used in jewelry making. I'll be darned if it didn't have two perfectly aligned holes that appear filled in.   The ends are identical,  I have seen several things that  look just like it but I know it could be another concretion trick so seeking professional advice.:)

IMG_20210619_235751922_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210619_234452978_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210619_234913278_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210428_003700719.jpg

IMG_20210428_003545846.jpg

13 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

At least it was a decent one. :)  Thank you!

Whoa ! You're still waiting for a pro. :)

Put it in water to see if it softens up or sprouts suggesting a seed. It might even float.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Oh oh. Should we que the spooky music ? Are these the things purported to be artifacts ? 

I have been fooled by seeds before and feel it is a possibility. Granted I am only guessing, but seeing the site produces "normal" crinoid pieces, I am banking on crinoidal. Something similar to this Ordovician one I found: 

DSC_0047-002.thumb.JPG.ae4d3b373ed2a64ce02b5f331f5e69d5.JPG

Edited by minnbuckeye
  • I found this Informative 1

Anything filling a lithic artifact would easily fall/dissolve out-not human made if you can't pick, dissolve or otherwise relatively easily remove the "core"...  My 2.1 cents (adjusted for inflation  :) ) Cool regardless!

Bone

• I found this Informative 1

26 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

I am banking on crinoidal.

Banking is no good, but booking ? You better take the odds because they don't look good to me. Texture . :)

5 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Oh oh. Should we que the spooky music ? Are these the things purported to be artifacts ? 

Yep, just googling them is a rabbit hole :D You’ll end up beleving the earth is donut shaped and Elvis was an extraterrestrial.

Well that was a lot to take in, just not sure what to take seriously. :) I'll see if I can pick out the hole, if not I'll plant it and see what happens.

1 hour ago, Lone Hunter said:

Well that was a lot to take in, just not sure what to take seriously. :) I'll see if I can pick out the hole, if not I'll plant it and see what happens.

If it's a giant bean stalk you're going to be the one climbing it. :)