Trilobite? Please help with ID/orientation in rock

jjstaley

Hello everyone! I'm new here and new to fossil everything and learning as much as I can. I may have found my first trilobite and I have ideas of what it could be but not good at all with the process of identification or how it is oriented on/in the matrix. There are faint lines around the entire piece that seems to be other trilobites/parts. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks for looking! Please excuse any mistakes this is also my first time ever posting on a forum.FossilIdtop.thumb.jpg.27248ef459cace27fe749ff9041f72da.jpgFossilIdbottom.thumb.jpg.ca7adea0860828472a2b9c7e97f5041b.jpgFossilId6.thumb.jpg.42b647e488f53b5bcfae5af77753728a.jpgFossilId5.thumb.jpg.3eba1410ccbd1dfa704485ce9fc2862f.jpgFossilId2.thumb.jpg.19ea979833d384494ea48da1a0dfe069.jpg

The fossil reminds me of a brachiopod. There seems like a circular center along the hinge in your first picture. If this was from Minnesota, I would call it Strophomena. Maybe it is artifact.

brachiopod picture

Picture is from Learn About Nature.

Also, your second picture shows multiple brachiopods.

• I Agree 4

I agree, this is a brachial valve of a strophomenid brachiopod. Where was this found? Paleozoic strata are common in northern Alabama and a location might help narrow down a formation and eventual ID (county is sufficient).

Thanks for looking...I found it in chapel hill, TN. I will definitely check out the things mentioned. I have searched for trilobites in Northern Alabama with no luck but have found what I believe is horn coral and a few plant type fossils. I will keep hunting!