Anyone can find restoration? (Tyrannosaurid indet tooth)

TeethCollector

I saw a tooth of an Tyrannosaurid Indet. The price looks good and the size is 3.3 inches including the repaired lower end.

The seller told that this is from Judith River Formation, Northern Montana, and No restoration.

Can anyone find any evidence of restoration? I can't find any...

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1601.jpg

s-l1602.jpg

s-l1603.jpg

s-l1604.jpg

And.. this is another one from the same seller. This is also Tyrannosaurid indet, and from JRF.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1601.jpg

s-l1602.jpg

Edited by TeethCollector

I don't see any obvious restoration, but there do seem to be some repair cracks if that is of concern to you.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Nothing obvious jumps out and I think they are fine from restoration and look like nice teeth.  However what I tell everyone buying teeth especially expensive Tyrannosaurids is to put a UV light on them.  I deal with a couple of Prep individuals that you would not be able to see their work on photos, they are that good.  BTW Northern Montana is not a good provenance to verify that they are from the JRF, you need county/city.  The color looks like JRF but Northern Montana also includes Two Medicine and Hell Creek Fm

• Thank You 1

Thanks for replying @Troodon and @Paleostoric !! I will buy a blacklight flashlight.. 

And... this is another tooth from different seller. This is a sauropod tooth from Irhazer Formation, Niger. 

I'm sorry for too many questions, Sauropod tooth with this locality is extremely rare and expensive, so I want to be make sure. 

The seller told that this is Jobaroa and the morphology says that this is Jobaria tooth, but this looks interesting because there is no Jobaria reported from the Irhazer shale. 

Can anyone find restoration? I don't see anything.. 

20210622_052011.jpg

FB_IMG_1624351403818.jpg

FB_IMG_1624351399105.jpg

Edited by TeethCollector

The tooth looks okay and the only area of concern is what I have circled.  Need better photos to assess.   Nice tooth

1624356381005.jpg.4ea8775e7f12853a2011da24d01db023.jpg

Do you have a specific locality where this tooth is from?  I'm always concerned that provenance from material from Niger is questionable.   So assigning to any taxon is very problematic.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, TeethCollector said:

will buy a blacklight flashlight

Just make sure the UV light you purchase is around 365 nm.

4 hours ago, TeethCollector said:

the morphology says that this is Jobaria tooth,

Like to see that description

7 hours ago, Troodon said:

I'm always concerned that provenance from material from Niger is questionable.   So assigning to any taxon is very problematic.

True. The only thing the seller knows about this is 'Irhazer Formation, Niger' , but I would say the locality is 'Somewhere in Niger' ...

Seems like most of the Mesozoic Fossils from Niger comes from Irhazer or Tiouraren, and stratigraphic of both formations are the middle Jurassic . I'm 70% sure that they share a lot of their fauna..

No not necessarily, the Tiouraren Fm overlies the Irhazer Fm and is younger in age with different sauropods /theropods currently described.  Jobaria is only known from the Tiouraren Fm while Spinophorosaurus is only known in the other.  So specific provenance is very important if you are trying to identify material to a genus level versus family.   There is another middle jurassic deposit adjacent to these the Agadez Group

7 hours ago, Troodon said:

Like to see that description

Sorry for miss that question.

Yes Troodon, after more research, I concluded that I might be wrong.

The width of the crown and the width of the basal of the crown are almost the same, and the tooth is largely curved. I read through a paper SAUROPOD TEETH FROM THE MIDDLE JURASSIC OF MADAGASCAR, AND THE OLDEST RECORD OF TITANOSAURIFORMES , and the morphology is very similar to the Morphotype J3 , which is basal brachiosaurid or a titanosauriform. And both clades do not include Jobaria.

I thought that the tooth belongs to Eusauropod which includes Jobaria, because I don't see any serrations from the tooth, which is likenly caused by wear.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1002/spp2.1282

It's all about provenance and if its Irhazer Fm it's more likely to be Spinophorosaurus.   Also most middle jurassic faunas have multiple sauropods (many not yet described) and morphologies, why isolated spatulate teeth are very difficult to ID beyond family level.  

Jobaria has serrations?

Spinophorosaurus does have them.

I don't think Jobaria has serrations, there are too little information available.

Yes Spinophorosaurus has serrations on top of the crown, but it is possible that the serrations disappeared because of the wear...

On 6/22/2021 at 8:55 PM, TeethCollector said:

I don't think Jobaria has serrations, there are too little information available.

Yes Spinophorosaurus has serrations on top of the crown, but it is possible that the serrations disappeared because of the wear...

Of course, wear and poor preservation at the tip of the crown will impact how many if any denticles are visible.  Also do all the teeth in the dentition have the same morphology?  Hard to say we know so little.  Madagascar Archaeodontosaurus teeth have denticles but they are not visible on all the teeth.   You have to examine your tooth it might have one denticle to the left or it may just be damage, hard to say.

Regardless of the identification, the tooth looks really nice , sauropod from Niger is rare and price is good... so I purchased this!

I really appreciate your help @Troodon . I will upload some better photo of this once I receive this so that everyone can discuss more.