Beginner's Luck?!

natwell19

I went fossil hunting for the first time and took my 5 year old. I was SO FUN! What made it better is that we actually found a few things! I think its horn coral, possibly orthoceras. I think i found a piece of a fish on a small rock, though it's hard to see. Possibly some worm fossils. Then I found a small crinoid piece. The one with horn coral is part of a huge matrix and I want to know if anyone else sees anything. The last several pictures are all different sides of the large one. Thanks everyone for looking! 

IMG_3405.thumb.jpeg.25f1d9b11ddf4b60fb4836ed5b135d4b.jpeg  

407954125_IMG_34012.jpeg

IMG_3400.jpeg

IMG_3378.jpeg

IMG_3397.jpeg

IMG_3389.jpeg

IMG_3379.jpeg

IMG_3386.jpeg

IMG_3406.jpeg

IMG_3411.jpeg

IMG_3409.jpeg

IMG_3410.jpeg

Lovely.  You have found a nice variety of things.  The first specimen is definitely full of horn corals, i.e., solitary rugose corals (Orthoceras is actually a nautiloid, i.e., a type of mollusc.  3.4, and 5 are crinoid stem sections.  I think that photos 6 and 7 show a rock, not a fossil.  The last two photos looks like cross sections of corals again.

• I Agree 1

2 - 5 are crinoid stem fragments of varying lengths. The result of ligaments holding them in place for a short time after death.

6 -7 is indeed just a rock.

8 - is a trace fossil. Worm I don't believe can confidently identified as it's maker though. Several body form are capable of creating such traces.

There are a few crinoid discs on your first picture showing the rugosa coral. Nice finds!!

Mike

I don't think it's beginners luck at all - I think you found a great spot and it only going to get better :)

Edited by frankh8147

Thanks everyone! I love the "its just a rock." oops! LOL! We went again today and found a weird bone... I Just posted about it on another post. Such a fun hobby!