Questions on Fossil Finds from Upstate New York

fossilisa

I recently collected a few fossils from Schoharie County in upstate NY.  Among them are the pictured.  I am hoping someone can tell me in detail exactly what I have, in as much detail as possible.  I apologize in advance, as usual, but I am still learning and am trying to get as mush specific detail as I can.  The first was hard to effectively photograph, but appears plant-like. It is hard to make out, but the pattern continues in a circle. I've included two photos, one with my hand for scale.  Coral perhaps?  The second has several things, but I am interested primarily in the lower right side. Assuming that is a type of bryozoan?  The third I have not been able to find an exact match for online, but looks like a bivalve of some variety. The forth a brachiopod, not sure if it is clearly enough defined for an identification.  On the last one I am stumped.  I've included two photos, again, one with me holding it for size.  It is quite small, and has a tiny raised area that is almost worm-like, and the patterned area, scale-like.  As usual, thanks in advance.  I am learning a lot from all of you and appreciate your kindness and patience :)

The photos are not appearing in the order described above, but hopefully you can identify each based on the descriptions.

schohariepotpourri.jpg

schohariequestion.jpg

schoharieribbed.jpg

schohariequestion2.jpg

schohariebrach.jpg

schohariescale.jpg

schohariescalehand.jpg

Edited by fossilisa
clarification - photos not appearing in order described and corrected spelling
  • Enjoyed 1

Nice finds! I traveled over to that location last year and the fossils were quite amazing!

The first picture appears to have some rhynchonellid brachiopods along with fenestellid bryozoans.

On the next piece I believe that is a favositid tabulate coral.

Then a really nice rhynchonellid brachiopod, might be Uncinulus sp. but it is a bit hard to tell with that much exposed and at this angle.

Then I think that's another picture of that same tabulate coral

After that an Atrypa reticularis brachiopod I believe

The last piece looks like a few branching bryozoan colonies.

Very nice finds! I especially like that rhynchonellid brachiopod.

• I found this Informative 2

You can edit the topic by placing your cursor exactly where you want a photo, then clicking the "+" sign on the uploaded image.

@fossilisa

• I found this Informative 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

@Misha Thank you so much!  I really appreciate it!  I looked up Uncinulous, and that does look very possible!  :)

@JohnJ thanks, that is very helpful!

• Enjoyed 2

Sorry. I have dissenting opinions. 

The second one is the chalice end of a horn coral.

The last are branching tabulate corals I think. 

• I found this Informative 1

The sea floor slab (first photo) I find rather aesthetic

• I Agree 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

1 hour ago, hemipristis said:

The sea floor slab (first photo) I find rather aesthetic

It is one of those that would be hard to set back down no mater how many you already have.

• I Agree 2

@Rockwood I would have to disagree,

From my experience with this formation, not only are the horn corals there much more uncommon than tabulate corals, they do not look like this. I believe I can see some tabulae in the second photo of the coral, which would point towards favositid.

@fossilisa would it be possible to get some close-ups of that portion on the rock?

47 minutes ago, Misha said:

I would have to disagree,

I see the tabulae now. With no sign of a theca or change in the pattern at the perimeter I guess it is a better fit. 

@misha sorry for the delayed response. I tried to get more of a closeup but it’s very difficult to see detail. I wet it, does this help at all?

A9A669CF-62A6-48E8-804B-D537FB98340D.jpeg