Eurypterus companion from Lang's Quarry

Biotalker

I found this piece by "popping" one of the "dishes" on a slab at Lang's Quarry in Ilion, NY several years ago.  In this case, there is a bivalve-like fossil which was suggested to me was a cephalopod. Does anyone know the species of this fossil? I'd really like to learn more about it. 

Langs 1.jpg

Langs 2.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

The logical identification for the bivalve like fossil, to me, would be bivalve.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

The logical identification for the bivalve like fossil, to me, would be bivalve.

Yes

There’s a bivalve fossil on that rock? I cant see past the superb eurypterids!

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Hi Biotalker, It appears we are looking at the back side of a Brevicone Cephalopod called Pristoceras timidum. The opening side or aperature looks like my specimens. They are well known and represented in the Bertie dolostone.

Twin Aperature Nautiloids.jpg

Pristeroceras.jpg

Pristeroceras pavement.JPG

• I found this Informative 11

On 6/22/2021 at 5:05 AM, fossilcrazy said:

Hi Biotalker, It appears we are looking at the back side of a Brevicone Cephalopod called Pristoceras timidum.

I was ready to argue that the pronounced growth ridges contradicted it, but, poof, no argument. I have to agree. :)

Nice eurypterids, but that brevicone is just as cool.  That reconstruction is an amazing creature!

Don

• I Agree 1

Very cool! I wonder if it might be possible through very careful preparation to completely remove the brevicone from the matrix without damaging that Eurypterid???

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

Very cool! I wonder if it might be possible through very careful preparation to completely remove the brevicone from the matrix without damaging that Eurypterid???

I think it's a very interesting association piece.  Personally, I would not try to remove the brevicone.  On the other hand there is a nondescript piece of "something" that seems in the photo to be covering part of the top left hand eurypterid.  It's hard to tell from the photo if it is on top (and so could be removed) or if it was underneath and caused the middle of the eurypterid to split off onto the counterpart of the slab.  In that case, if you have the counterpart it might be possible to recover the missing piece and restore that eurypterid to its complete state.

Don

Thank you for quick and solid responses. This forum is a great asset. This is one of the upper counterpart pieces I have of this fossil that has the missing small surface piece of the Pristoceras as well as a smaller eurypterid with nice appendage preservation. I'm just not equipped to deal with this matrix and I am too chicken/wise to try.

Eurypterid upper rotate.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

Response to Don, FossilDawg 

(I know, I need a cool name, too) 

Good observation, I do have another piece where the midsection of the second eurypterid in the upper right of the first picture can be seen. Just haven't tried to do anything with it yet. 

Unless you have the tools and experience to do it yourself, I think this would be one of those pieces that would be worth paying someone with the required skills to do the job.  It's a fantastic piece that could be made a little better in the right hands.

Don

• 2 months later...
On 6/22/2021 at 5:05 AM, fossilcrazy said:

Hi Biotalker, It appears we are looking at the back side of a Brevicone Cephalopod called Pristoceras timidum. The opening side or aperature looks like my specimens. They are well known and represented in the Bertie dolostone.

fossilcrazy- thanks for your valuable input and I don't mean to rehash my old post, but I still don't quite understand the third picture. Is each depression an imprint made by a Pristaceras? Does the blackish residue come from the brevicone?

• 2 weeks later...