So, in a previous post, I asked for the identification of a piece of an orthocone nautiloid. The general consensus was that it was a Spyroceras sp, or related genera. Now, I have found two specimens, which show some of the characteristics that that piece had. I first thought that they were nautiloids, but since they both had the same general structure and orientation, I began to wonder if they are Conularids. The morphology does not seem right, namely the separation between parts of the internal mold and its large segments; but I am at a loss to think of something better.:headscratch:

The two specimens are shown below. In the first picture, the first specimen is shown. I did not recover the other side of it, as I had to prep this specimen out. The bottom of the specimen is of the internal mold, while the top of it is of the external. The second picture is of a closeup of the top of the first specimen. The third and fourth pictures are of the second specimen. The third picture shows the external mold on the left, and the internal mold on the right. The fourth picture is orientated in the same way. The scale is in millimeters. Both specimens are from the Leighton Formation, Maine; which is Silurian, Pridoli. 

Thanks in advance!:)

conularid 1?.jpg

conularid 2?.jpg

conularid 3?.jpg

conularid 4?.jpg

Edited by Mainefossils

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

• Mainefossils changed the title to Conularid?
2 hours ago, Plax said:

Hydnoceras? just guessing here...

Interesting. I have never found a sponge from this formation before. I think, though, that Hydnoceras started in the Devonian, while this formation is Silurian. I wonder if it could be something similar?

Regards, 

Asher 

It’s completely subjective but I find very very similar fossils in my early Devonian exposure. I just assumed they were very deteriorated orthocone nautiloids but did next to no research to confirm this. I searched hydnoceras and it didn’t look very convincing but I am far from an expert. I’d be very curious to hear others weigh in on this

36 minutes ago, ScottBlooded said:

It’s completely subjective but I find very very similar fossils in my early Devonian exposure. I just assumed they were very deteriorated orthocone nautiloids but did next to no research to confirm this. I searched hydnoceras and it didn’t look very convincing but I am far from an expert. I’d be very curious to hear others weigh in on this.

I also see that these type of specimens are remarkably similar to orthocone nautiloids. While the internal molds match, it seems to me that the external mold is one unified structure. I look forward to hearing more about the identification of specimens like these, as I am eager to learn more about them. :)

Regards, 

Asher 

On 6/24/2021 at 9:48 PM, Packy said:

Lot more like a coral to me. 

That is another possibility. Thanks for your input! 

Regards, 

Asher 

The upper-left side of the fourth picture may show coral septa.

785733751_conularid4.jpg.ec8c025d4a233166ab1fc0aa1a1d78c2.thumb.jpg.52c347e62286d868f89380ba3d34cb38.jpgniamh1.gif.e013f97128d6ee39e062c73c91186c3f.gif

Edited by abyssunder

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 6/22/2021 at 2:55 PM, Plax said:

Hydnoceras? just guessing here...

I was thinking probably, but they Wikied in Devonian. 

What about  cornulites ? Some species seem to have longitudinal striations.

@abyssunder

Your coral suggestion seems like another possibility to me. I was thinking, though, that the internal mold of the coral would not look like this? I thought that the internal mold of most corals still showed the septa. Does this relate to the species, and I am just not familiar with corals of this type, or is the generally true? I really have not encountered many corals before (beyond the ordinary rugosa). 

@Rockwood

Conularites are another option that I have not thought of. I read in Description of the Eastport Quadrangle (paper https://pubs.usgs.gov/gf/192/text.pdf), (illustrations https://pubs.usgs.gov/gf/192/illustration.pdf), that Cornulites serpularius var. bellistriatus was found in the Leighton Formation. Their specimen, though, does not seem to me to fit mine, unless Cornulites often grew together in such a defined pattern. I have not encountered this genus before, so I defer to you. 

Thank you both for your time and help! :)

Regards, 

Asher 

14 minutes ago, Mainefossils said:

Cornulites often grew together in such a defined pattern.

Either a grapple skidder or a delimber extracted, albeit in fragments, just such a configuration for me one time.

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Either a grapple skidder or a delimber extracted, albeit in fragments, just such a configuration for me one time.

I am so sorry to be ignorant of these terms, but what do "grapple skidder" and "delimber" mean? 

Regards, 

Asher 

1 hour ago, Mainefossils said:

I am so sorry to be ignorant of these terms, but what do "grapple skidder" and "delimber" mean? 

A Mainer doesn't . . . ?  :)

A skidder is a giant four wheeled tractor, usually with heavy steel chains. The grapple is a claw/jaw like mechanism used to pull bunches of trees out of the woods which mounts to the back of it.

A delimber is another huge lagged machine which strips the limbs from the trees.  I found the fossil in an abandon spot where the logs were gathered to be trucked away.

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, Rockwood said:

A Mainer doesn't . . . ?  :)

A skidder is a giant four wheeled tractor, usually with heavy steel chains. The grapple is a claw/jaw like mechanism used to pull bunches of trees out of the woods which mounts to the back of it.

A delimber is another huge lagged machine which strips the limbs from the trees.  I found the fossil in an abandon spot where the logs were gathered to be trucked away.

:heartylaugh:I get it now, I was reading that wrong! I kept trying to figure out how earth-moving equipment fit into fossil terms, but you were just saying that the tractor unearthed a similar specimen...And also I am a transplant, just in Maine for a few years now, so I'll have a lot to learn. :)

• I found this Informative 1

Regards, 

Asher