Austin Texas Creek Hunt

JamieLynn

In Central Texas you don't have to go very far to find fossils. But the Austin Chalk Formation is a little tricky finding good spots which are fairly fossiliferous. Fortunately, the Paleontological Society of Austin visits a couple of good spots and the fossiling was pretty decent this time, because we've had some good rains! This particular creek is really lovely, too....white limestone with green ferns and even some Mustang Grapevines! Although it was a hot day (as per the usual in Texas Summertime) the creek was at least shady and a bit cool and it felt great to stick my feet in the water to cool off, all the while keeping an eye out for that good fossil....... 

993238526_WalnutCreek(1).thumb.jpg.c8cc4d8bef3f60bebbf8f4b550c10ba3.jpg

IMG_20210619_101527850.thumb.jpg.fc2b9a42247c939c5967296948af19af.jpg

The Exogyra Oysters are the main thing found here, but there is a special one called a tigrena that have some of the original coloring on them. They are really fascinating, with their "tiger" stripes!

1 1/2 inch

626686661_BivalveExogyratigrenaLittleWalnut(5).thumb.JPG.60c4e8b3f2381c0cd4ff9e592aca0699.JPG

2 1/4 inch

1895648446_BivalveExogyratigrenaLittleWalnut(3).thumb.JPG.71c0a8a3f731d8d6baacc31d6669c43a.JPG

2 1/4 inch

469867639_BivalveExogyratigrenaLittleWalnut(1).thumb.JPG.1f26680839623a6f51577ffdcb330fec.JPG

This one has both valves. 1 1/2 inch

1058912407_BivalveExogyratigrenaaLittleWalnut(8).thumb.JPG.cba5b4ec8633076881ef8d7544a386e5.JPG

1178677480_BivalveExogyratigrenaaLittleWalnut(9).thumb.JPG.21c97e9e85b17f676d54e3574b090f41.JPG

Nautiloids and ammonites are there, but rare. I happily procured one small slightly squished and not very well preserved nautiloid. 3 inches  (one of the other PSoA members found a perfect little one, in a recent rock fall. He was faster up the creek than I was!)

224537861_NautiloidLittleWalnut(2).thumb.JPG.37b90d54555a34146f24089c1d4e1be0.JPG

And this beauty was found even further upstream by my friend Melvin who let me borrow it to photograph. I thought y'all might like to see it. I think it is a Barrioceras dentatocarinatum Size 3 inches

1457566456_AmmoniteLittleWalnut(2).thumb.JPG.82dcd864fd4eed356ac70619c77d19f0.JPG

1199683921_AmmoniteLittleWalnut(4).thumb.JPG.4aaff27f1ee4bb805238eaa45dfc5159.JPG

And one more big honking Oyster; Exogyra erraticostata 5 inches

22620182_BivalveExogyraerraticostatabLittleWalnut.thumb.JPG.74a349c06a301e032d74ca8541060e44.JPG

Wild Mustang Grapevines! 

IMG_20210619_102013183_HDR.jpg

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 13

I do like the color on those oysters. It looks like a fine place to hunt. Those Texas summers are too hot for me though. Thanks for sharing your trip.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Lovely finds in a beautiful setting. Thanks for sharing. 

Edited by Reebs
Spelling

Great images, Jamie!

Rather than Exogyra erraticostata (which displays more radial 'crinkling'), I think the 5 incher is Exogyra laeviuscula Roemer.

• I found this Informative 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Great images, Jamie!

Rather than Exogyra erraticostata (which displays more radial 'crinkling'), I think the 5 incher is Exogyra laeviuscula Roemer.

Really? I thought laeviscula were smoother? In the HGMS book it shows erraticostata with more crenulations, but also one with more irregular crinkling.  (Pic not from the HGMS book, but I think they were drawn from this:

. Cretaceous deposits of the eastern Gulf region and species of Exogyra  from the eastern Gulf region and the Carolinas. Geology, Stratigraphic;  Geology; Bivalves, Fossil. U. S. GEOLOGICAL SURVEY. EXOGYRA PONDEROSA  ROEMER AND EXOGYRA ...

This is laeviuscula, pretty sure.

1228197806_OysterExogyralaevisculaSMAustinChalk.thumb.JPG.f6a5115d99794a02f05996949d70e2e2.JPG

Check Finsley's book.  The geology is also a good match for your other finds.  ;)

• I found this Informative 1

I think the Dessau is too old for erraticostata. If it wasn’t for the extra coiling i would have suggested ponderosa. 

Charles Newsom lists an Exogyra erraticostata in the Dessau Member. You still need to look at the professional literature since Newsom is not a paleontologists. Not enough crinkles for your Exogyra to be an erraticostata.

I believe that it is spelled tigrina.

http://homepage.physics.uiowa.edu/~cnewsom/fossils/Oysters/exogyra/

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

7 hours ago, erose said:

I think the Dessau is too old for erraticostata. If it wasn’t for the extra coiling i would have suggested ponderosa. 

well, I was actually originally going by what Ed told me. He said erraticostata, so I was going with that. 

16 minutes ago, JamieLynn said:

well, I was actually originally going by what Ed told me. He said erraticostata, so I was going with that. 

Ed knows his stuff…gonna look that up now

Some consider Exogyra erraticostata to be Exogyra ponderosa var. erraticostata. 

https://www.mindat.org/taxon-9039904.html

Stephenson who first described Exogyra ponderosa var. erraticostata said that there is a complete intergradation of ornamentation (costa) from Exogyra ponderosa to Exogyra costata. Since your Exogyra contains no traces of costa, I would call it a plain Exogyra ponderosa. See original description on page 49

https://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/0081/report.pdf

Stephenson, L. W., 1914, Cretaceous deposits of the eastern Gulf region and species of Exogyra from the eastern Gulf region and the Carolinas: U.S. Geol. Survey Prof. Paper 81, p. 9-40.

Edited by DPS Ammonite

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

On 6/22/2021 at 5:11 PM, JohnJ said:

Great images, Jamie!

Sticking to Exogyra laeviuscula. From Finsley's, A Field Guide to Fossils of Texas:

0623212114a~2.jpg

0623212116~2.jpg

9 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Sticking to Exogyra laeviuscula. From Finsley's, A Field Guide to Fossils of Texas:

0623212114a~2.jpg

0623212116~2.jpg

The beak curl may make it an Exogyra laeviuscula. If it is considered a ponderosa variety (or sister species) then it is not an erraticostata based on lack of costata. 

I consider Finsley’s book to be less reliable than the professional journal literature. Finsley told me shortly before he died that he had lots of corrections to make in the book, but they would have to be made by someone else. 

Oysters are notoriously difficult to ID due to their great variability. Charles Newsom had his own different ideas from Finsley on the Exogyra and Texigryphaea  ID’s. 
http://homepage.physics.uiowa.edu/~cnewsom/fossils/Oysters/index.html

Edited by DPS Ammonite

I also believe the extra coiling would make this a closer match to E. laeviscula.  And boy-boy nothing like some oysters to make one nuts with identifications...

• I Agree 2

Thank you to show us this spot Jamie, it seams you had a great trip.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

• 1 year later...

reviving this chat with an exogyra question...

Is anyone aware of the stratigraphic range of E. eratticostata? I'm wondering about its usefulness as an index fossil, specifically for the Pflugerville member.

@erose @JohnJ @Uncle Siphuncle

I have a Kau site I'm trying to confirm the member on, but can't cement any ID's for the ammonites I've seen there. UT's guidebook to the geology of travis county has this to say about E. eratticostata's occurrence in the Pflugerville, but doesn't say anything about the range of these oysters. 

"The Pflugerville Member is named for the village of Pflugerville north of Austin, Travis County, where the formation underlies the Immanuel Lutheran Church. The type locality is selected at the curve in Cameron Road on levels (presumably bedding planes) at which Exogyra erraticostata and Actinostreon travisana (Stephenson) are concentrated."

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

From Austin Chalk In Its Type Area - Stratigraphy And Structure, Young and Woodruff 1985 

IMG_20230515_091232962_HDR.jpg

7 hours ago, Jared C said:

I'm wondering about its usefulness as an index fossil, specifically for the Pflugerville member.

Not exclusive, but a good indicator.  

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

Lovely photos and beautiful fossils. :b_love1:

I'm glad that someone bumped the thread and I finally got to see it!

Very interesting discussion, too. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

From Austin Chalk In Its Type Area - Stratigraphy And Structure, Young and Woodruff 1985 

Thanks for sending this, I tried to find a copy but it seems to be out of stock everywhere :unsure:

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

From the same publication:

IMG_20230515_122650183_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230515_122403305.jpg

• Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

From the same publication:

you have no idea how helpful this was, thank you!!

1 minute ago, Jared C said:

you have no idea how helpful this was, thank you!!

Yeah, I do.  :D

• Enjoyed 2
  • I Agree 1