pwoodfan

Strange fossil.  Found in wash south of Santa Fe, NM.  P-wood in area.  It is a heavy crystal rock with many swirls and whirls.  Might be a coral.  But just can't tell.  An enigma---

IMG_4352.JPG

IMG_4355.JPG

IMG_4353.JPGIMG_4355.thumb.JPG.5c10d6ed7afde20b3b378fce9af4d483.JPG

• Enjoyed 2

I  was thinking plant but have not seen this before and could not even rule out mineral.  it is pretty

When I see a bunch of crescent shapes in a rock like that I think shell cross sections, brachiopods etc. I am not an expert though so take that with a grain of salt

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, ScottBlooded said:

When I see a bunch of crescent shapes in a rock like that I think shell cross sections, brachiopods etc. I am not an expert though so take that with a grain of salt

This would be my guess for most of these. The area circled looks like a cross section of a gastropod but I can't say 100% from this picture.

IMG_4355.JPG.9f374839250d5c63df1108f6b8e55eff.JPG

On closer inspection, I have come to a conclusion that the fossil is MAYBE an egg clutch of a small dinosaur that had a catastrophic ending.  There appears to be many chick like heads with many body parts and maybe egg shell parts.  (see outlined pics).  Any opinion on my hunch/guess?  In the 4th photo, you can see what looks to be the vertebra of the chick and in the third photo, you can see the outline of the complete body of the chick.

IMG_E4363_LI.jpg

IMG_4364_LI.jpg

IMG_4362_LI.jpg

IMG_4361_LI.jpg

Nah I feel confident saying there’s no egg clutch or dinosaurs in there, but it’s probably still really cool even without all that. As rockwood mentioned, splitting it open should probably reveal some more detailed specimens, but even as an amateur I feel really confident it won’t be a bunch of baby dinosaurs. I’m my experience, if I were to recommend, I’d say split it as parallel to the dark lines (the presumed fossil material) as you can. If I were a betting man, I’d guess you’d find some cool, very old shells in there.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

I'm in the broken bits of shell camp. The dinosaur idea is pure pareidolia. One could also do a crosscut with a diamond-bladed saw.

• I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

No dinosaurs, ... only shells. 

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me