Coral or Something Else? Central Texas Cretaceous

JamieLynn

Howdy! Found this little piece in an area where I have found quite a bit of coral. It is a bit different than previous coral finds, but does have similarities. It is just a "finer" grain of striations and pores and not quite as regular as other coral finds.  So it is making me question whether it really is coral or perhaps rudist or just geologic.  It is in an area of Georgetown and Buda Formation Undivided with some Glen Rose Formation upstream in Hays County.  It is 1 1/4 inch.  Thanks for any help! 

Three sides:

IMG_6569.thumb.JPG.5415a223b60c21c870ddec03d357aea2.JPG

IMG_6601.thumb.JPG.1f80e142438272563c135e148cdb0706.JPG

IMG_6600.thumb.JPG.5d70799d84e007aace1dbb9ced6689f4.JPG

Coral from same location:

Size 3 inches

IMG_6576.thumb.JPG.5f480d8a5aab20cbb91bc500a1418d5e.JPG

Size 1 1/4 inch

IMG_6578.thumb.JPG.831324c8dbc98100cc302de54a7e6574.JPG

Coral. Genus Preverastraea. Better top image (preferred polished section) with scale may reveal the species.

• I found this Informative 3

They just don't make corals like they used to back in the old days (Paleozoic) anymore.  :shakehead:

If I remember right Hans is no looser when it comes to these things.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Interestingly, this coral looks very much like a Paleozoic one because it has a marginarium and lonsdaleoid septa. But the genus is not related to Amphiastreids that look much alike a Rugosa, it belongs to the family Aulastraeoporidae. Preverastraea reaches from the Upper Barremian to the Cenomanian and I have seen other material from Texas.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

3 hours ago, HansTheLoser said:

Interestingly, this coral looks very much like a Paleozoic one because it has a marginarium and lonsdaleoid septa. But the genus is not related to Amphiastreids that look much alike a Rugosa, it belongs to the family Aulastraeoporidae. Preverastraea reaches from the Upper Barremian to the Cenomanian and I have seen other material from Texas.

Shoot ! I can't even get it wrong right today. :shakehead:

On 6/27/2021 at 1:35 PM, HansTheLoser said:

Coral. Genus Preverastraea. Better top image (preferred polished section) with scale may reveal the species.

Thank you!! I will take a better pic of the top. I'll get it under the microscope camera and see if I can get a close picture.