fossilsonwheels

I’m excited to finally be able to do a fossil prep post here on TFF. In addition to the Fossils on Wheels stuff, I am also a Supervisor at the Gateway Science Museum here in Chico. I’ve mentioned that the Gateway has some pretty special fossils right now that will become part of a fossil exhibit in the fall. 

Some of the fossils are getting quite a bit of attention from media outlets from around the world. These fossils come from the Miocene Merton Formation of Central California. 

Most of the prep work is being done by faculty, staff members and students of the Geology department at CSU Chico. Employees of the museum can also help and today was my first experience prepping a fossil. 

I got to work on a block containing Tortoise bones and possibly other stuff too. The Tortoise is named Donatello after one of the TMT characters. The block is fairly soft mudstone that contains a lot of volcanic material and was pretty easy to work with. I used dental picks and managed to make some progress. I was probably being a bit more cautious than I needed to be but being my first attempt at this work, I didn’t want to damage anything. 

I dont know if the pictures will show the progress at that well but I did make some headway. I can not yet tell what part of the Tortoise I have with the exposed pieces so far but I should have a better idea next week. 

This was so so much fun and a fantastic learning experience. I’m very grateful for the opportunity to contribute to the prep work. 

Here are before and after pics of Day 1 of my fossil prep adventure. 

2293D366-2F0C-495E-A3E1-CF1ACF4B3331.jpeg

44831052-11C9-4F68-A845-BB06E6C2F8D6.jpeg

• Enjoyed 9

I'm a Michaelangelo guy myself (he is a party dude). Just kidding, good job so far. Looking forward to seeing it after some more prep.

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, Fossilis Willis said:

I'm a Michaelangelo guy myself (he is a party dude). Just kidding, good job so far. Looking forward to seeing it after some more prep.

Rafael was my favorite lol Thank you. I’m pretty excited to get back at it. 

This sort of thing always makes Tidgy sad, so I won't show her.

But I am very interested. :)

• Enjoyed 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Making progress in very limited time to do this. Still can’t tell what part of the Tortoise we have but my guess right now is this might be plastron/hip area. Just a guess. I think by next week I should be able to free it from the matrix. 

FBFAB55C-5FFF-42AB-99BE-155E572F339D.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

On 6/23/2021 at 3:42 PM, fossilsonwheels said:

I’m excited to finally be able to do a fossil prep post here on TFF. In addition to the Fossils on Wheels stuff, I am also a Supervisor at the Gateway Science Museum here in Chico. I’ve mentioned that the Gateway has some pretty special fossils right now that will become part of a fossil exhibit in the fall. 

Some of the fossils are getting quite a bit of attention from media outlets from around the world. These fossils come from the Miocene Merton Formation of Central California. 

Most of the prep work is being done by faculty, staff members and students of the Geology department at CSU Chico. Employees of the museum can also help and today was my first experience prepping a fossil. 

I got to work on a block containing Tortoise bones and possibly other stuff too. The Tortoise is named Donatello after one of the TMT characters. The block is fairly soft mudstone that contains a lot of volcanic material and was pretty easy to work with. I used dental picks and managed to make some progress. I was probably being a bit more cautious than I needed to be but being my first attempt at this work, I didn’t want to damage anything. 

I dont know if the pictures will show the progress at that well but I did make some headway. I can not yet tell what part of the Tortoise I have with the exposed pieces so far but I should have a better idea next week. 

This was so so much fun and a fantastic learning experience. I’m very grateful for the opportunity to contribute to the prep work. 

Here are before and after pics of Day 1 of my fossil prep adventure. 

2293D366-2F0C-495E-A3E1-CF1ACF4B3331.jpeg

44831052-11C9-4F68-A845-BB06E6C2F8D6.jpeg

I am green with envy. Are these from the Valley Springs site? I have heard very little about the fossils themselves from VS. I must plan a trip to your museum once they are displayed. 

Congratulations on you prep opportunity. Please post updates on your progress. 

7 minutes ago, Christine.Rowland said:

I am green with envy. Are these from the Valley Springs site? I have heard very little about the fossils themselves from VS. I must plan a trip to your museum once they are displayed. 

Congratulations on you prep opportunity. Please post updates on your progress. 

I can’t give specific location information unfortunately. All I can say is Southeast of Sacramento. 

There is only general information available as far as the fossils go. None are identified to a specific genus yet. Very vague ID’s so far and lots of prep left to do. I’ve got another block of Tortoise to work on after I finish this piece. 

The exhibit will be pretty cool as it will also feature Shastasaurus fossils from the Triassic, Cretaceous Chico Formation stuff ( including some we are loaning) and some marine Miocene stuff in addition to the terrestrial stuff. 

• Enjoyed 1

I didn’t get it free but definitely made good progress. Quite happy. 

BE38610C-2451-4D81-9452-35C49F3036E6.jpeg

I’ll be able to do about 3 hours of prep tomorrow and I’m hoping I’ll have a better idea of what part of the Tortoise this is but it appears as though Donatello is a fairly large specimen. It’s not a little bone and there are some pretty large blocks yet to prep. 

After this bone I can start working on other parts. 

9467F324-3343-4057-8E0D-0A65A71D4FA6.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

One of the things I’ve had to pick up quickly is the idea of stabilizing as I go and why it’s important. This is right after a healthy dose of butvar. It’s cool as you can see what is fossil and what is matrix. It extends to the very left corner. Most of the remaining work is with lots of alcohol solution and a tooth brush on the other side. Slow tedious work from here

Sean, the primary prep dude, has taught me a lot. Great guy who does outstanding work. 

BB415B5D-6C25-439D-BC96-04401E042D20.jpeg

I think this is as far as I can go with this piece. There are two cracks and both are in positions that it looks to me could cause unnecessary damage to the bone. It’ll work as a display fossil after some clean up. 

9E165BE0-B52F-48ED-8BAF-758F48EEA9BA.jpeg