A couple of small horse teeth

Shellseeker

I went back to a location that I had not hunted in a while. It has a majority of small shark teeth and marine fossils, but occasionally provides me with a pre_Equus horse tooth.  and that opportunity , by itself, is a good enough reward , to keep me coming back. So, I found lots of little broken shark teeth.  Many of the other fossils are fragmented and/or very worn. Zoom in on the Mako on the left edge as an example.  This is what I sorted down to:

IMG_0758.thumb.JPEG.960d777ad9214c7375c4d77a7a34ff7d.JPEG

So, Some Gomphothere/Mastodon chunks, a few pieces of tusk,  some worn dermal denticles, broken Makos, a few larger Hemis, a Sand Tiger or two, and then what keeps me coming back:

This is the left side upper molar, likely a M1 or M2, of a pre_Equus horse. It is too large to be Nannippus, and so I'll reach for one of the more likely possibilities:  Cormohipparion Ingenuum.  If you wish to get better at identification of these, search the internet for examples and see if you also think they match.

I see an oddity on this one that I have noted before on other small upper molars. It almost looks like a round file was used down the center of the tooth.  I wonder what might cause that.

IMG_0714Text.thumb.jpg.0a0cf5f3ec0cab7092384b7ff4a5bef4.jpg

and the 2nd tooth, a little smaller than the first.  A LOT of wear on this tooth, but we are able to see the entire occlusal pattern that allows identification. This tooth screams "Nannippus" to me, one of the smallest horses from the Pliocene. However, it is larger at 17 mm APL than I would have expected at this location.

IMG_0735Text.thumb.jpg.7adbb26825cf3d40ca12bf03f4b436c9.jpg

17 mm too BIG ????  Take a look at these Nannippus Aztecus M1 or M2 upper molars from the Bone Valley Phosphate mines  --- 13 mm!!!

I think I'll send an email to Richard Hulbert to see what Identification he would place on the 2nd tooth.  You will find out when I do.

I had a nice day in the sunshine yesterday,  found a couple of my favorites, get to discuss them on TFF, and get my questions answered. Life is good.    Enjoy   Jack

BlueScreenAztecusTxt.jpg.77a91e56c568d5e0689120e82442b44f.jpg

• Enjoyed 7

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Another great day I see!  I’d guess Nannippus as well, but I’m not near as good identifying the fossils as most on the forum.

my wife is back in town and I talked her into another trip on Saturday, that is if the river doesn’t swell too much from all the rain. 

always enjoy your trip collections, thank you for sharing.

• I Agree 1

Nice teeth !

• Thank You 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg