Hi were the Placers! Found at Crystal Park Montana

Agapegrow

Hello we are the Placers. These were found at Crystal park, MT. I just thought they were neat rocks but when I started trying to take the crystals out of them I notice  what looked like an eye socket and skin. So I stopped immediately and did this. So many different pieces almost like it was a den of them.  All of these are from around the same place. 

20210623_221919.jpg

20210623_214126.jpg20210623_221939.thumb.jpg.1bdf390d01023864e410f7b19914c59e.jpg20210623_221901.jpg

20210623_221746.jpg20210623_221626.jpg20210623_221546.jpg

20210623_221415.jpg20210623_221440.jpg20210623_221430.jpg

20210623_221310.jpg20210623_220926.jpg20210623_220919.jpg

20210623_220842.jpg

Agreed... Interesting minerals, but no fossils. (Fossils do not occur in igneous rock)

Is that epidote and quartz, and some other dark mineral? It is similar to the epidote/quartz occurrences we have over here on Vancouver Island.

• I Agree 1

I wish you could sew them for real pics are just not showing you what I see its really quite strange. 

20210623_232619.jpg

Yes rocks can be very strange. Start with the basics, you can't have just one socket without some other features, like the other one, or a nose or mouth.  If it were an eye socket it would be on something smooth with curves and angles that resemble a skull of some sort.  Skin doesn't fossilize, usually just impressions of it, and again it would be on a level smoother surface.

These are all different minerals mixed together. I see, you are from Butte, the famous mining district. I have not looked up Crystal Park and what can be found there. But at least around Butte, you have a real mish-mash of rocks and mineralizations of all kind.

For seeing fossils in things, that´s not uncommon. It is like seeing things in clouds etc. It is called

Pareidolia (link to wikipedia)

This is neither a psychiatric nor a psychic disease, its just the normal ability of our brain to make meaningful patterns out of fragmentary information. This was very helpful for recognizing dangerous animals or human enemies at a glance in the past.

Franz Bernhard

There is really no one aspect of these photos that can be said to eliminate all possibility of it being an eye. The piece is quite unlike any fossil bone I have ever seen identified however. It would need to be identified through the context in which it was found and I believe it would be irresponsible to suggest it possible.

Rockwood, most of the time I understand you and sometimes I don't, this is one of those times:headscratch:Im thinking OP probably can't either.  Seems your talking a circle so perhaps you could put it in layman's terms. :)

1 hour ago, Lone Hunter said:

put it in layman's terms. 

It's nearly impossible to prove a negative. 

Well thank you for looking I can not stop seeing things in these dang rocks there memorizing. And yes there all from the same spot I was digging. I wanted to make sure before i put them in a solution to remove iron that im not damaging history. Im more then new to all of this. I find it so interesting feel, like a kid watching Jurassic park for the first time.   

This next one is big so I thought Id show it off any how. i see an eye a nose and a mouth with teeth and skin!! My mind is messing with me.. time to go to bed.. 

1993855868_20210624_0426572.thumb.jpg.76e865f7c69d88c6bc515cbcffb28ea9.jpg

20210624_043041.jpg

20210624_043050.jpg

6 minutes ago, Agapegrow said:

I find it so interesting feel, like a kid watching Jurassic park for the first time.   

Many (most??) of us feel the same each time we are out exploring and digging :dinothumb:!

7 minutes ago, Agapegrow said:

i see an eye a nose and a mouth with teeth and skin!!

Your advanced pattern recognition system "sees" it, but it isn´t really there.

8 minutes ago, Agapegrow said:

time to go to bed..

Really? I have not looked it up, but isn´t it only around 4 am at your longitude ;)?

Franz Bernhard

13 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Google third shift.

Didn´t think about that :DOH::BigSmile:.

Franz Bernhard

I think everyone is correct that this is not a fossil.  I think that you are seeing the cavities that the crystals form in.  All that being said sometimes photos dont do justice to what you can see,  at times like that consulting actual experts is the way to go.  Museums and fossil clubs are the place to take your sample.

10 hours ago, Agapegrow said:

Well thank you for looking I can not stop seeing things in these dang rocks there memorizing. And yes there all from the same spot I was digging. I wanted to make sure before i put them in a solution to remove iron that im not damaging history. Im more then new to all of this. I find it so interesting feel, like a kid watching Jurassic park for the first time.   

This next one is big so I thought Id show it off any how. i see an eye a nose and a mouth with teeth and skin!! My mind is messing with me.. time to go to bed..

I agree with the others... I don't see any sort of biological features like what you're seeing, but my mother sees faces in all kinds of things like old stumps etc, when I miss them. More importantly I am not seeing anything like sedimentary rock. Fossils are preserved in sedimentary rock (well, 99.999% of the time) but your pieces are characteristically igneous.

Go ahead an put them in the solution, you're not damaging any fossils! I would worry more about damaging the minerals, but if you've cleaned rocks like these before with good results, go for it. :Smiling:

• I Agree 1