Kansas River find. I can't figure out what it is.

SpenRob

I can't see the pictures, I'm afraid.

I don't think heic files are supported on this forum? 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

3 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I can't see the pictures, I'm afraid.

I don't think heic files are supported on this forum? 

Updated! Thanks for letting me know

hmm, very unusual.  I cant place what it might a part of.  The processes coming off make me think it vertebral, but just a WAG on that.  Do you know the age/formation of the area it came from?

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

I was thinking vertebral as well, but I can’t find anything similar to it. I really don’t know enough to say the age/formation of the area. I found it on a sand bar along the Kansas River near De Soto, KS, which is just west of the Kansas City area.

27 minutes ago, SpenRob said:

I was thinking vertebral as well, but I can’t find anything similar to it. I really don’t know enough to say the age/formation of the area. I found it on a sand bar along the Kansas River near De Soto, KS, which is just west of the Kansas City area.

Interesting.  I looked up the geologic map and it looks like your area is predominantly Permian and Pennsylvanian in age, but your bone certainly doesnt look like that. That leads me to think this is a more recent fossil, maybe from something only a few million years or less. 

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

I think I found it.  I THINK you have the neural spine of a thoracic vert from a Mastodon.  Youre missing the bulb at the top and the connection to the centrum.

920198372_mastthorvert.thumb.PNG.40a2f154b9e55a075bef5b5af7c461ae.PNG

21 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

I think I found it.  I THINK you have the neural spine of a thoracic vert from a Mastodon.  Youre missing the bulb at the top and the connection to the centrum.

920198372_mastthorvert.thumb.PNG.40a2f154b9e55a075bef5b5af7c461ae.PNG

Hmmm could be, though mine is pretty wide and flat on the back