Polar Dinosaurs - Alaska

Troodon

A new study reveals that nearly all types of dinosaurs that were present in the Arctic reproduced in the region, and remained there year-round. These dinosaurs encountered ~4 months of darkness per year, temperatures below zero, and snow

https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(21)00739-9?utm_source=EA

E4qMJ9GUUAI-v2J.jpg.5c92ef70b0d6ba06cd0fe2b37e4a7a14.jpg

gr1.jpg.c817fa07a7073c52858b4b3853d98241.jpg

• I found this Informative 8
  • Enjoyed 1

Kinda puts another nail in the coffin of the old "cold blooded" theory.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

19 minutes ago, hadrosauridae said:

Kinda puts another nail in the coffin of the old "cold blooded" theory.

Surprised to read that they were non-migratory - maybe they built giant igloos or had lots of BONE fires.

• Enjoyed 2

With continental drift, I thought the artic was a lot farther south back in those days?  Now im confused, which is easy for me nowadays.

RB

22 minutes ago, RJB said:

With continental drift, I thought the artic was a lot farther south back in those days?  Now im confused, which is easy for me nowadays.

RB

Map of 94 mya , alaska not super different than today...paleoportal says north america was moving northwest during late cretaceous.  Artic circle latitude today is 66 degrees so these guys were closer to Santa

Screenshot_20210625-045154.thumb.jpg.0b4b258784bdefe08f3148adeb62c9b9.jpg

10 hours ago, RuMert said:

Thanks for the info! I always wondered if polar dinos were that cold-resistant or the poles were that warm. Perhaps something inbetween

Global Cretaceous temps were much warmer than today and no polar ice caps.  So warmer but they still had to endure freezing temps in the winter.  

• Thank You 1

Going for a hike today and saw this while checking the weather. Relates directly to this thread. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

On 6/25/2021 at 5:52 AM, Troodon said:

Map of 94 mya , alaska not super different than today...paleoportal says north america was moving northwest during late cretaceous.  Artic circle latitude today is 66 degrees so these guys were closer to Santa

I did not know this.  and thanks for the map.  Ya learn something everyday here on the forum.  Thanks man

RB