Looks like scales?

CandiM

I found it rock hunting in Coggon, Iowa. It's just north of Cedar Rapids. I can post a few more pics.

16247747097401334432400695509999.jpg

16247748101286523842613367716905.jpg

I hunt in the area and can attest that the vast majority of the available rock is Devonian, so tree bark absent. With that said, there are rare exposures of Carboniferous rock where plant material is found. I have found some in matrix that does not look like this and the plant material found was strands of unidentifiable material. I hope that this IS a piece of  scale tree bark for it would be an outstanding find for the location!! Was it found in a ravine as an isolated rock or part of a larger ledge that you extracted it from. If the latter, are other fossils present in that matrix?? 

If you enjoy fossils' consider joining the Cedar Valley Rocks & Minerals Society and have access to some quarries with wonderful fossils.

Mike

• I found this Informative 3

Thanks, I will do that. And I looked up  Sigillaria tree bark and it is quite similar in appearance. I couldn't be for certain tho. And it was found by it's lonesome, well alongside many, many other rocks. Some I believe to be fossils, chalcedony, agates, quartz, etc... But this is the only one I've found of this likeliness. It was on a sand bar next to a creek. I'll post a few other (what I believe to be) fossils that I found in the same spot. To add to it I think I may also have found a few stone tool artifacts in the same spot. 

IMG_20210615_024515166_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210615_024343077_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210610_165549678.jpg

I think concretion is winning this race so far. A more recognizable plant fossil would really be needed I'm afraid.

Unfortunately, sandbars do not help us ID. It could have been transported from anywhere "upstream". 

Mike

• I found this Informative 1

Looks like Sigillaria. Compare to this.

sigillaria.jpg

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!