A Very odd bone

Shellseeker

I have this bone that I found 4-5 weeks ago. I have not had any new insights, but I think it strongly suggests marine mammal and because of the foramena,  mandible.  All suggestions and comments welcome.   Jack

IMG_0790crop.thumb.jpg.4a8995d831b7a3e56a6c394b3e80a4ce.jpgIMG_0795crop.thumb.jpg.09ce7bb3546691bda315f85c5fac9470.jpgIMG_0796crop.thumb.jpg.4a35eac11c2fc81f572144648a6590e2.jpgIMG_0792crop.thumb.jpg.9e732af2d504907ccf4f33d0292e010f.jpgIMG_0793crop.thumb.jpg.6b3859e66519348319b5d57d4d62558c.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

9 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

but I think it strongly suggests marine mammal

Better ask @Boesse for assistance.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

that really is a strange looking bone.  waiting to see other peoples ideas.  This one may be for dr Hubert.

10 hours ago, val horn said:

that really is a strange looking bone.  waiting to see other peoples ideas.  This one may be for dr Hubert.

Thanks , just sent an email to Richard

Wondering and speculation are useful tools when I reach the edge of a cliff..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/baggis/albums/72157623986817361/with/374046226/

The baculum of a large dog, a seal, or dire wolf are free standing bones, all approximately 100 cm in length. On a large whale , the baculum may be a meter long.

DireWolfBaculum.JPG.045a8b00891d0700151ed4112f6d7f06.JPG

Baculum, also called Os , orOs Priapi, the bone of certain mammals. The baculum is one of several heterotropic skeletal elements—i.e., bones dissociated from the rest of the body skeleton. It is found in all insectivores (e.g., shrews, hedgehogs), bats, rodents, and carnivores and in all primates except humans. Such wide distribution suggests that it appeared early in mammalian evolution.

https://www.britannica.com/science/baculum

So, I am wondering about the robustness of this bone,  and what the Baculum of a medium sized whale like Kogiopsis .sp looks like. Do we have any members familiar with Baculum across mammals....?

There is one that belongs to a whale at the Natural History Museum of Angers (near my home), it measures memory at least 2 meters !

Coco
  • Enjoyed 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Wait. :zzzzscratchchin::bone_claw:

As far as I know whales do not have bacula, like all of Cetartiodactylia. Museums like to display their preserved soft tissue though. Walrus bacula ("oosiks) may reach about a meter, but all other carnivores I know of are way smaller (cave bear and polar bear maybe 25-30 cm.) I do not think the mystery bone is part of a baculum,

Best regards,

J

Edited by Mahnmut
additional info

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

The sole mammals lacking baculum are the humans, horses, donkeys, rhinoceros, marsupials, rabbits, cetaceans (whales and dolphins), elephants and hyenas.

Well, that eliminates a lot of my "wondering".  No Whales, Dolphins, Rhinos, Elephants, .......

I concur.  Not a baculum.  But just what it is I do not know.  I'll look more closely when I'm in the office / lab on Monday.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

tfkonincalachthijjioeriumannalesdumuseer1musea_0015.jpg

the odobenid

Alachtherium as figured by van Beneden in 1877

of course this comes with a slight taxonomy warning

Edit:

(Ontocetus emmonsi fide Mr. Boessenecker himself/Acta Paleontologica Polonica/2018)

Edited by doushantuo

9 hours ago, doushantuo said:

the odobenid Alachtherium as figured by van Beneden in 1877

of course this comes with a slight taxonomy warning

Edit:

(Ontocetus emmonsi fide Mr. Boessenecker himself/Acta Paleontologica Polonica/2018)

Ok, sometimes I am (or hope to be) a true believer..... also I have an early Pliocene site and some Ontocetus emmonsi fossils have been found nearby...

What is the bone pictured in your photo? ear bone ? Does the document provide a size?

Sidebyside.JPG.91720b8c9cb3d4e461fc07d25a8770d9.JPG

@Boesse

Van Beneden describes this as "maxillaire inferieur",so it is cranial material.

I've been sloppy,for which I apologize

The 2018 paper in Acta Paleontologica Polonica is copyrighted ,so I feel the need to refrain from posting it here.

the link:

https://www.app.pan.pl/archive/published/app63/app004542018.pdf

Edited by doushantuo

16 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

Van Beneden describes this as "maxillaire inferieur",so it is cranial material.

I've been sloppy,for which I apologize

The 2018 paper in Acta Paleontologica Polonica is copyrighted ,so I feel the need to refrain from posting it here.

the link: https://www.app.pan.pl/archive/published/app63/app004542018.pdf

Thank you...:tiphat:With out of the box thinking,  you have provided me a thread to follow.  It may work out to an  identification and if it does, it will just reinforce my bedrock belief in the value proposition of reaching around the world for people with diverse expertise. and if it does not,  I will have enjoyed the hunt and learned new things about Walrus...

• Enjoyed 1

Thanks,Shellseeker,I feel genuinely moved by your response.

Btw: the van Beneden Monograph is huge,and text and plates are separated.

Size indication is : "natural size",which is'not very helpful

https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/268501#page/35/mode/1up

It's not the quickest of downloads,but the scans are supernally beautiful

Edited by doushantuo
  • I Agree 1

alright folks! The skull piece figured by Van Beneden is actually the squamosal in the back of the skull. @Shellseeker's specimen is not a walrus bone. The specimen appears to be incomplete and waterworn, and the exact identity cannot really be determined: I'm not sure what element this is. It's probably cetacean owing to the texture. It could be a bit of a posterior process of a baleen whale periotic, but there are many other possibilities (vertebra fragment, skull fragment).

1 hour ago, Boesse said:

The specimen appears to be incomplete and waterworn, and the exact identity cannot really be determined

Richard Hulbert agrees (almost exact phrase) with your assessment. I have pulled on all the threads.  This one goes into the box of unknowns.   Thanks for responding.