Hi all!

This is another report from Oxfordian quarries in the vicinity of Moscow.

Previous 1 (Peski)

Previous 2 (Timonino)

Peski again. If you read my fossil sites overview, you know that Peski quarry is a unique site where you could find lots of Carboniferous fossils, Middle Jurassic dinosaurs, calcitic Callovian ammonites and very good Oxfordian gastropods. The latter are the most numerous and easier to search for. My trip took place in April and was mostly a success with a good variety of finds

Edited by RuMert
  • Enjoyed 4

The gastropods are mostly found on spoil pile slopes, uncovered by rains and snow melting. These are the main slopes with grey Oxfordian clay

IMG20210411102047.jpg

IMG20210411102049.jpg

Smaller spoil piles in the north of the quarry

IMG20210411153540.jpg

View of the functioning part of the quarry

IMG20210411102046.jpg

Edited by RuMert
  • Enjoyed 7

Everything is 10 mm or less. Bigger are Bathrotomaria gastropods, Callovian belemnites (quite large) and Gryphea oysters.

IMG20210513111349б.jpg

IMG_20210421_212347.jpg

IMG_20210424_223326.jpg

Also present are Cyclocrinus stem fragments, small belemnites, scaphopods and echinoid spines.

1.jpg

1.jpg

Oxfordian ammonites are not preserved

2.jpg

Edited by RuMert
  • Enjoyed 8

What a remarkable place!  So many ages of fossils.  I really really like those Oxfordian fossils.  Small is OK, they are exquisitely preserved and the diversity is remarkable.  Thanks for showing us!  I would love to spend a day (or more) there.

Don

• Thank You 1

5 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

The gastropods and bivalves are certainly well preserved for the Oxfordian.

I agree. Some of them are reminiscent of gastropods I've found in the Paris-basin - including state of preservation. But those are Eocene shells...! In my experience, these shells are pretty well-preserved for the Jurassic :o

All in all another great report! Too bad there were no marine reptiles, but very interesting to see some of your other hunting grounds. So: thanks! :D

• Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Thank you, preservation is indeed the main feature of this site. We encounter the same gastropods and bivalves in various other locations, but only here we see how they actually look (and feel as they are pretty sturdy)

Edited by RuMert

Love the pictures of the the area you collect, but I really love your finds and the pictures that you took of them.

• Thank You 1

Another great report! Thanks for taking us along. :) 

• Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)