What tools to use to split U-dig shale?

fossilhunter21

I am planning on getting some U-dig shale and was wondering what to use to split it?

Thanks in advance.  :)

Use a small flat chisel to split the shale itself. The fossil therein need no prepping usually.

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, fossilhunter21 said:

How small of a chisel would you suggest?

as small (thin) as possible. 

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

I have only done a very little, but use a Stanley knife on smaller pieces. 

I believe some people soak the samples and use razor blades. 

Debra does a lot of this stuff with spectacular results. @Paleome

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Hi!  

I usually first soak the material for at least a week.  Alot of it will split all by itself after such treatment.  The rest of it, hit end-on/edge-on, with a rock hammer.  What I mean by this is:  find the edge where you can see the layers.  Hit along this edge.  Particularly stubborn pieces may need more soaking.  You can use a small chisel along this edge to help out.

I only use razor blades on Florissant, not Wheeler, material.  Wheeler shale is too hard, and not thin enough, for this technique.  

The owners of U-dig provide you with instructions on how to do this.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

You will learn and get more proficient as you split more of the material, so start "practicing" on the less promising pieces so you don't mess up the better specimens. Like all forms of fossil prep, expertise increases with time and quantity. We all mess up a couple or three when we begin with prepping fossils, so mess up the ones that aren't very good until you get better at it. Don't rush to get the job done. When you prep fossils, patience is your greatest ally. 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!