What is this in limestone?

Johopa

Hi guys,

I recently started learning to fossil hunt for my son as he loves dinosaurs and on our first trip we found this in a limestone. I am completely new and really sorry if this borders on an insult to some of your experience but I have no idea whether to crack the rock open and  have a look or whether I’d end up breaking a fossil of some kind if I did or whether it is just a mineral running through of some sort!

There was a much larger rock with the same streaks but in a diamond shape on the beach so if it is a fossil I’ll be running back there ASAP

Thank you in advance (I’ll thank again afterwards too!) and I’m glad to have found a community on here to help further my knowledge!

142D7323-CEF5-459D-8A5D-240627CAD9B6.jpeg

Hello Johopa,  Welcome.  It is difficult to tell from this photo but we may be seeing bivalve (i.e., clams and relatives) shells in cross section?

• I Agree 1

Thank you very much for the response myrmica I may crack this open and if it’s something then I’ll know the much larger one would be worth opening! I’ll post on here once it’s opened just in case you’re curious! Once again thank you very much for the response!