Notogoneus Project

RJB

Also seems like it takes about as much time to prepare a fossil fish skeleton as it does me to do a modern one. Only difference is I mount them 3d, and have to degrease and whiten. That can take weeks or months of just soaking in ammonia, and then peroxide.

• 9 months later...

Its been quite awhile since ive last attacked this project, Im going to try and get this one done by nextweek sometime. The reason I put it aside for so long was because of the difficulty of the rock. But when I started using dolomite on that keichy, it gave me an idea. I tried mixing 50% bicarb with 50% dolomite and tried that, and HOLY COW is it working fantastic. The bones and even the scales on this fish are soooo hard that its now quite easy to prep, just very slow and time consuming. The detail is truly outstanding! I am simply amazed. The sad part about this fish is that it has several verts out of place and that is going to cause some problems, but wont know exactly what those prepblems are until the rock comes off. Im just hoping that the fins are were they are supposed to be and not damaged in any way? My fingers are crossed.

RB

please start from the head end always! how is that poor critter gonna breathe while you're tickling it's foondoo with your 50/50 blend. oh wait, it has vertebrae out of line so it can't feel it's foondoo.

this stuff sure is complicated...

please start from the head end always! how is that poor critter gonna breathe while you're tickling it's foondoo with your 50/50 blend. oh wait, it has vertebrae out of line so it can't feel it's foondoo.

this stuff sure is complicated...

Hey tracer dude. I actually cleaned up the head first thing yesterday, just didnt get a pic of it. I was so impressed by the detail of he tail end I forgot. But today Im going to try and finish up the tail end and see if I can find some other fins? Thats quite a few hours away still. I will also try and get a close up of some of these scales that are lined up perfectly. Just incredible!!!

RB

Well, thanks to tracer, I was out in my garage just after 6 am this morning. I went to town on this baby and didnt stop until I got very cold and very hungry. It took me about 45 minutes with a bowl of grape nuts with half a banana and the heat turned on the intire time just to get back to normal and get the sting out of my toes!!! Buuuur!!! Then it was back out to the garage where I prepped until almost 3:30 pm I think? Quite the prep session and got tons of work done!!! Im going to have this thing done tomorrow!!! Problem is, the tail has problems, but it was nice to find some other fins on this thing that are just were they are supposed to be and in really good shape! Im still amazed at just how good a quality the bone and scales are!!! Just freakin amazing!!! Not a perfect fish and it makes me a bit frustrated, but im in love with this bone!!! Just wonderful stuff to work with even though its about 20 to a billion times harder to prep than the split fish stuff!!! You can see there is a problem where the verts are disarticulated, and Ive still got some clean up work on most of this fish to do the very fine detail work, but just get aload of the detail on this thing in the second photo!!! HOLY COW MAN!! Boy I love this stuff!!!

RB

...You can see there is a problem where the verts are disarticulated...

That's just where a bird pecked at it before it sank and was covered up ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That's just where a bird pecked at it before it sank and was covered up ;)

Hey fella. The last time a fellow told me that he wasnt in too good of shape after our little talk behind the barn? Ha!!! Just kidding. But hey, Im not sure if it will work out, but im trying to get you some pinguin (spelling) fossil bones from New Zealand. Not sure if the guy wants to let them go, but he owes me. Keep your fingers crossed. If I do get them, it will just cost you postage. Im good lookin too!! Ha!!!

RB

...im trying to get you some pinguin (spelling) fossil bones from New Zealand...

You da Man! NZ has over a dozen fossil species described, from late Paleocene to late Pliocene; I have 0 from there.

If all goes right , I'll be there myself for the first half of May (visiting both islands). Going for a wedding, but play time is scheduled too :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!