3d simulation of extinct biomes

ftlcgi

• 2 weeks later...

I made another fish for the shalow sea enviroment of the late devonian of North America, Cladoselache is a small shark growing up to 1.8 metres

The model needs some work on details, i will keep improving the model and ad some animations

Edited by ftlcgi
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

I am amazed by this entire project, your knowledge and your skill. Your creations make my little paintings look like stick figures. Keep up the impressive work!

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Thank you, for bringing these wonderful creations to us here!
Lovely work! :wub:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 11/1/2021 at 8:34 PM, ftlcgi said:

A new placoderm fish: Bothriolepis canadensis, it lived during the Late Devonian almost everywhere there was water from sea to lakes

Bloomin' 'eck! That's amazing!

Very similar to a project I've been working on behind the scenes. Good work!

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

I added some basic textures and a bit of fixes to the Stethacanthus , it still needs some work, i'm texturing in Substance painter now and modeling in Blender and i'm still learning basic things

• Enjoyed 1

I realized i had neglected the Lochovian, the first stage of Devonian but there is a multitude of weird looking plants and animals that were living then.

I'l try to recreate a shoreline biome from the Old Red Sandstone formation, in south UK there were discovered jawless fish and landplants close to each other according to https://paleobiodb.org.

So far i managed to recreate a few plants and a cool looking jawless fish called Cephalaspis. I think the jawless fish will look great animated and i'm going to make a few more of them.

The land had a good number of plants but in the fossil record only few of them have complete recontructions like Cooksonia, a plant i posted some time ago and it occured in the Lochovian of south UK, Baragwanathia is another plant i posted that lived during the Lochovian but it was not found in UK.
The rest of the plants have just parts reconstructed and in order to draw a complete plant i had to guess how it looked like from other species related to it or from general descriptions.

Tortilicaulis has only the sporangia reconstructed but it was a moss like plant from what i can find on wikipedia

Yarravia, there is a reconstruction of it's sporangia on wikipedia and some photos on researchgate, but that's all

Parka Decipiens doesn't look like a normal plant, more like an algae, the only reconstruction i used is from wikipedia, i'l have to make a few more changes to it so it doesn't look look so alien

Edited by ftlcgi
  • Enjoyed 2

Another similar thelodont, Turinia pagei from the Old Red Sandstone formation

I used the image below for the general shape and the details on the back, the rest are common features in other thelodonts.

Capture.JPG

Edited by ftlcgi
  • Enjoyed 1

Eophalangium sheari is a harvestman spider from Lochovian (early devonian) discovered in Rhynie Chert deposit

I used diferent sources for the reconstruction of this model:
- the reconstruction of a related but very simiar species: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrophthalmi#/media/File:Reconstruction_of_Hastocularis_argus.jpg
- This article on the same related but similar spider from the Carboniferous: http://www.sharmalabuw.org/basal-opiliones-phylogeny.html
- Actual photos of Eophalangium from here: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/rhynie/harvestmen.htm
- And general anatomy of harvestman spiders from google results
I'm still working to improve the model with details but the end result still has to be able to be rendered in a scene in realtime on a normal PC.

Edited by ftlcgi
  • Enjoyed 1

• 4 weeks later...

First i would like to wish you all a happy new year.

I would like to show up the progress of my project with some screenshots showing how the devonian changed in the seas before and after the extiction events.

All models have basic animations, next i'l have to use a more complex 360 degree navigation system for the fish and maybe ad interactions between them.

Lochovian, the first stage of Devonian showing early jawless fish and crinoids in the diverse coral reefs

HighresScreenshot00011.thumb.jpg.21eb4b905981ca5c8a6c15610771f7a2.jpg

Famennian, the last Devonian stage had a colapse of the coral reefs from the first extinction event and the last Placoderms soon to be extinct after the second extinction

HighresScreenshot00006.thumb.jpg.7e63a96be56d1533b284a7cd7bb0c0fc.jpg

Edited by ftlcgi
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3

Your modeling and animation is completely amazing!!! I can't wait for more. Could you do some Red Hill wildlife? Or maybe some cephalopods?

I especially like the Eurypterid animation.

13 hours ago, Bringing Fossils to Life said:

Your modeling and animation is completely amazing!!! I can't wait for more. Could you do some Red Hill wildlife? Or maybe some cephalopods?

I especially like the Eurypterid animation.

Red Hill is one of my favorite and it's allready a work in progress, i made some plants and fish that were found there, you can see them in this sketchfab collection https://skfb.ly/o8uBA. I'm planning to ad  more fish to it and work on the landscape after that, maybe do a mix of two biomes, a flooded forest with fish like Hyneria, some coelacanths, lung fish etc. swiming through submerged tree stumps and amphibians like Hynerpeton on the shore (most reconstructions show like that)
Cephalopods like ammonites and nautiloids are going to be added soon to the scene i just posted i've been looking into ammonite anatomy and animating tentacles for that.

I've been busy with the fish navigation lately and i added  some random 3D movement and some obstacle avoiding to the small fish so they don't go through rocks or through each other. There are a ton of ideeas on the development list and i am excited to ad them to the project

Edited by ftlcgi

A new fish called Pteraspis rostrata. The model has a basic texture for now and will be updated later

I uploaded a video with all the Lochovian (Early Devonain) fish in the sea enviroment, they have a hard time trying to avoid each other in crowded enviroments, most of the time it works but on ocasion they might get stuck inside a rock, the video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_gqzngmiok
  • Enjoyed 3

• 2 weeks later...

This is the template for a nautiloid, future models of nautiloids will be based on this one, animations will be added soon, i am still not completly confident about all it's anatomical features

HighresScreenshot00008.jpg

Other models i'm working on are Groenlandaspis, a placoderm from Famennian (late devonian), texture and animation will be added soon

Blastoids, are echinoderms similar to crinoids, textures will be added soon

Rugose corals, from renders i posted before, all new ones will be added here
Edited by ftlcgi
  • Enjoyed 3

Nice! Most nautiloids, though, likely had ten arms. Treptoceras arm imprints have proven this to be true for orthocerids, and they may have had beaks, too. Fossils of Michelinoceras have revealed its radula, which was quite similar to that of modern coleoids.

15 minutes ago, Bringing Fossils to Life said:

Nice! Most nautiloids, though, likely had ten arms. Treptoceras arm imprints have proven this to be true for orthocerids, and they may have had beaks, too. Fossils of Michelinoceras have revealed its radula, which was quite similar to that of modern coleoids.

Thanks for the info, i think i should i draw the siphon under it not in the center and bigger